This Hyatt is located on the south bank of Lady Bird Lake, just off the Congress Street Bridge (home of the world famous bat population). Rooms on the north side of the building have a nice view of the city, with the higher the better.
We got this room with a Pric***ine bid for a 4 star, and I wouldn't give it anything over a 3 to 3.5. We actually visited a couple of the 3 stars in town, and both were every bit as nice as the Hyatt. Everyone charges ugly parking around here and the Hyatt is no different. Their $5 bottles of water in the room merely serve to just tick me off.
That said, the Hyatt was clean and comfortable. If action is your thing, then you are better off with properties on the other side of the bridge in the 6th street area. This is the best hotel for those who enjoy an active lifestyle, including joining the constant train of joggers running the trails around the lake. The walk north to town is brisk, but pleasant, and we felt very safe. Going south was a little dicier, but nothing scary.
We didn't eat at the hotel at all, but instead spent our time exploring 6th Street. For us it was just a little too loud, and a little to over-run with characters. Pretty much everyone we encountered was either a panhandler, or shilling a different bar, or cause. We had a vision of more of a songwriter's paradise, but what we ran into was more bands striving for attention by turning up bad sound systems as loud as they can.
We headed to San Antonio in the morning, and found it much more to our tastes. Not that Austin is a bad thing, just not our (early '50's style).
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Austin Hotel Austin
- Hyatt Regency Austin Hotel
- Austin Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt Austin
- Austin Hyatt
- Hyatt Regency Austin Texas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in downtown Austin on the shores of Lady Bird Lake, the Hyatt Regency Austin is a full service hotel which offers cool, contemporary new guest rooms. Situated along the Hike & Bike trail, the hotel is within walking distance to all of Downtown Austin's major entertainment districts, and 7 miles from Austin Bergstrom International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Amex, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Olotels, Otel, Asiatravel.com Holdings, getaroom.com and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Regency Austin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.