We arrived in Aguas Callientes by train from Ollantaytambo as our final destination before taking the bus up the mountain to Machu Picchu. Aguas Callientes is a small town of only 3500 people that is rapidly growing due to tourist travel. It is surrounded by the incredible peaks of the Andes mountains. A river of large boulders and rapids runs along one side and train tracks run through the town. The streets are narrow, and walking around means you are constantly either walking up a steep incline or down one.
Our room at Hotel Hatuchay Tower included an honor bar, a safe, refrigerator, comfy bed, extra pillows, fluffy comforter, reading lamps at the bed, a hair dryer and both 110 and 220 outlets. The artwork in the halls and rooms is handicrafts made by local artisans and are all for sale. What a wonderful way to display and support the local talent. The hotel is right on a main road that carries heavy bus traffic during the day but it did not disturb our sleep. Across the street is a narrow park that runs along the river, a great place to sit and relax on one of the many park benches.
Included with our package was a free dinner for two. We had to choose our dining time and preorder our meal, which included an appetizer, entree and dessert. The food was delicious, great presentation and service. We also enjoyed a hot and cold breakfast buffet with a large selection of items.
The hotel was an easy walk to catch the bus and a short trek to the train station, though both involved walking up hill. The hotel will transport your luggage to the train station if you wish.
Aguas Callientes was a good place to shop for items to take home. I found their prices to be lower than at Pisac or other markets we visited.
- Also Known As:
- Hatuchay Tower Hotel
- Hatuchay Tower Hotel Aguas Calientes
- Hatuchay Hotel Machu Picchu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ¡En Hatuchay Hotels Machu Picchu vive una experiencia memorable y sostenible!Ofrecemos una experiencia memorable, donde podrás acercarte a la riqueza cultural y natural de un ícono turístico: Machu Picchu, y a la especial belleza escénica de los entornos naturales majestuosos que rodean a Hatuchay Hotels Machu Picchu.Te relajarás disfrutando de la vista panorámica, dormirás mientras escuchas el caudal del río Urubamba y podrás observar a las aves y la flora de la zona. Pernoctando en una de nuestras 42 habitaciones, arribarás a Machu Picchu muy temprano, porque estamos a sólo 20 minutos, puedes salir rumbo a la ciudadela y ser uno de los primeros en apreciarla durante el día.Nuestro trato es cálido y muy cercano, para que te sientas en familia, nos enfocamos en los detalles que son especiales para ti y tus seres queridos, y trabajamos para asegurarte una estadía que cause un impacto social positivo, brindando servicios acordes con los criterios globales del turismo sostenible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Expedia, Venere, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Hatuchay Hotel - Machu Picchu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.