Location: About 3mins walk from the bus-stop at Shuishe (where the Nantou bus stops at), near the Visitor’s Centre. Look out for “Your’s Pharmacy” ( 游藥局) down the slope. The orange coloured “Scotch Whisky – Single Malt” signage with the Chinese character for liquor, right on top, should be prominent enough. The ‘minsu’ is at the back of the pharmacy.
Price: NT$2,000 for the smallest room, Kitty, on weekdays; NT$3,000 for weekends. The bigger rooms, Doris and Garfield are at NT$2,500 for weekdays and NT$3,500 for weekends.
Size: Kitty is the smallest of the 3 rooms, but is actually pretty big. Doris has a little balcony with chairs and table for lounging around. It overlooks the garden at the back of the house. Garfield has an indoor garden filled with ornamental plants.
Décor & Furniture:
1.) Do not be fooled by the look of the pharmacy. Open the door that leads to the ‘minsu’ at the back of the building and it is like stepping into a different world altogether! Steel staircase with glass landing brings one to minimalist chic haven. The white-washed corridor leading to the rooms is lined with cute feline figurines.
2) Rooms are tastefully decorated with warm wood and neutral colours. The toilet is a sleek glass cubicle with venetian blinds for privacy. Green mosaic wall tiles and granite floor complete the look. The gradual gradient at the shower area is a testament of superb workmanship – even though there is no threshold separating the two areas, not a drop of water flows out from the shower area into the toilet!
3) There is a dressing table with a retractable mirror. The accompanying stool is the only seat in the room. The spacious, spotless parquet floor is definitely fit for sitting on, so you really don’t need another chair or stool :)
Toiletries: Bath and hand towels, full set of toiletries; which include toothbrush and tooth paste, razor, shower cap, bottle of shampoo and soap. The lavender organic hand wash is simply divine! There’re also 2 glasses for brushing one’s teeth.
Other in-room facilities:
1. Supply of 2 bottles of mineral water
2. 2 glasses (for drinking water)
5. 32’ LCD TV
Common Area: There is a kitchenette at the basement level. It comes with a long table for eight, a quality coffee making machine, a huge fridge and wash basin complete with mugs, glasses, plates and other utensils. The cat theme is carried through here – besides more cat figurines, a clock with a cat design ticks on the wall, cat motif on the toilet door, other cat motifs or tiles peeking out at you at unexpected places and of course mugs with cats on them.
Breakfast: The owner serves a delicious Western breakfast consisting of toast, ham and egg, potato salad, grilled sweet potato with cheese and a slice of pear. Wash all that down with either a cup of freshly brew coffee or hot, soya bean milk. Heavenly!
Cleanliness: Very clean, comparable to 5-star hotel standards.
Comfort level: The room is cosy with a touch of class. The bed and pillows are especially comfortable.
Noise level: Despite being located at the back of a pharmacy, one doesn’t get any noise at all. In fact, it was really quiet and pleasant.
Admin & Service Level:
1) Service – good and attentive.
a) They provided ‘Welcome fruit’ in the form of freshly-cut tomatoes dusted with spices.
b) We had requested for breakfast to be served much earlier as we had to catch an early bus out. Even though it was well ahead of their usual breakfast hours, the owner readily agreed to do so.
c) When I appeared slightly late for breakfast, the owner asked if she needed to reheat the toast for me – very attentive, indeed.
2) Owner briefed us on how best to tour Sun Moon Lake. They also sell ferry tickets (for the lake) at a 50% discount.
3) Introduced us to 2 restaurants located next to the ‘minsu’. The food at Sun Moon Restaurant is really good with nice presentation too. We were given a 40% discount when we told them we were guest of Doris’ Home and had been recommended by the owner.
Reservation & Payment: Call or email to make reservation. 50% deposit required upon confirmation. Deposit can be paid via Paypal. Balance by cash when one check-out.
Comparison: Staying at Doris’ Home allows one to experience what homestay/B & B is like as you get to talk to the owner, see first hand how she lives and run her retail business – basically learning a little about her life and Taiwanese culture. The scrumptious home-cooked breakfast is a definite bonus! Would definitely return for another stay :)
- Also Known As:
- Doris Home Taiwan/Nantou