The hotel itself is mostly fine: it's cheap, clean, has comfortable beds with SOFT mattresses (a bit of a luxury as Chinese mattresses are often rock hard), there's also free WiFi provided in rooms.
A few bad points: the staff don't speak good English, breakfast is free but not very good, didn't like the food at the hotel restaurant, the location is crappy (no good restaurants, shopping, or places of interest nearby).
Biggest problem by far was being able to find my way back to the hotel from Shanghai Railway Station. Station is huge, and I took the wrong exit. While I could see the hotel in the distance, there was no feasible way of getting there, I ended up hailing a taxi out of sheer frustration to drive me the rest of the way. This happened two more times before I finally worked out that you have to take TWO exits to get back to the hotel.
So for anyone who arrives at Shanghai Station on Line 1, do the following:
1. Take Exit 6 to the second section of the station
2. Then take Exit 4 to leave the station. Hostel should be a 5-10 minute walk from there.
Would still recommend the hotel, but only to people who have previous experience with travelling in China, or for those who can speak Chinese. Location is too much of a problem otherwise.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Zhabei Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Holiday Inn Express Zhabei Shanghai Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Shanghai
- Holiday Inn Shanghai
- Shanghai Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Choose the good-value Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei for a convenient location and transport links, 15 minutes by taxi from Nanjing Road.The staff at the high-rise Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei hotel offer a warm welcome on your arrival, 30 minutes by taxi from Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. Only a 5-minute walk from Shanghai railway station and subway station, this modern hotel is in the downtown Puxi area of Shanghai. You can surf the web with complimentary high-speed Internet in the comfort of your spacious, air-conditioned Guest room.Hit the glitzy malls and quirky shops of Shanghai's famous Nanjing Road for elegant Chinese tea sets and new Asian fashions. Dinner and drinks await at the bars and restaurants in entertainment hotspot Xintiandi, 20 minutes' drive from Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei.Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei has 2 meeting rooms with great views that you can use to host events for up to 60 people. Drop by the 24-hour Business Centre to print your documents and prepare for meetings. The Shanghai New International Expo Centre is a short subway ride away.Refuel with a hearty Chinese spread including congee, noodles and fresh fruit at our complimentary breakfast buffet, prepared daily in the stylish Great Room. For tips on where to find the tastiest dumplings in Shanghai, just ask our friendly Front Desk staff.Enjoy value for money at Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei. All of our comfortable Guest rooms are at least 32-sq-metres in size and have complimentary high-speed Internet. Our breakfast buffet is also complimentary and lets you kick start your day with a generous meal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip DaoDao and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Zhabei Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.