We stayed at Esquinas for two nights to enjoy the rainforest and the fantastic birdlife around the lodge. The accommodation consists of simple but comfortable rooms that are surrounded by beautiful forest. The lodge has its roots in an Austrian conservation programme and most of the guests are German or Austrian. This results in a somewhat odd combination of German and Costa Rican styles, like being served German food in the middle of the rainforest, or the fact that most guests simply assume you speak German.
Birdwatching in the surroundings of the lodge is absolutely fantastic. The endemic black-cheeked ant-tanager is easily found, as well as a superb selection of other species like great curassow, boat-billed heron, charming hummingbird, orange-collared manakin, white-throated shrike-tanager, spot-crowned euphonia etc. The rice fields will yield some good open-country species like red-breasted blackbird and several species of seed-eater.
The most disappointing fact of Esquinas was the poor state of the trails. During our stay two trails were blocked and some other were poorly maintained or not well signposted. This reduced the possibilities for hiking and birding, which were the main reasons to visit Esquinas in the first place.
All in all, a nice lodge in great surroundings, but trail maintenance should be better.
- Also Known As:
- Esquinas Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Esquinas Rainforest Hotel
- Esquinas Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Esquinas Rainforest Lodge, accessible by car all year, is surrounded on three sides by the untouched wilderness of Piedras Blancas National Park in Costa Rica's southern zone. Guests can experience the sights and sounds of a tropical rainforest while enjoying the comfort of an ecolodge that has been distinguised with the Costa Rican Certificate of Sustainable Tourism, Level 3. It is part of the prize-winning project "Rainforest of the Austrians", combining ecotourism, nature conservation, tropical reasearch and sustainable development. Activities include rainforest hikes, horseback tours, birdwatching and boat and kayak excursions in the Golfo Dulce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Esquinas Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.