We wanted a small, comfortable hotel with a spa facility to relax in and use as a base to explore the wine country surrounding Stellenbosch. Unfortunately, the Labri Manor is a very tired, run down place that certainly doesn't live up to it's 4-star rating and certainly doesn't have the 'wealth of services and facilities' it boasts. Our 'luxury' double room had a tiny bathroom that in no way could be described as luxury. The 'wellness centre' no longer exists - so they should stop advertising that it has one. The swimming pool is like a garden pond at the end of the small courtyard which mainly has breakfast tables in it. The 'excellent cuisine' consisted of breakfast, the hot food having been pre-cooked and the cold buffet was covered in flies. We booked online and couldn't cancel without losing all of our money after we arrived. Pity really, because this certainly wasn't a cheap hotel. Stellenbosch was fantastic, but we won't be going back to the Labri Manor.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your review. We always welcome positive criticism, because this enables us to improve our standard of facilities & service. Sadly, you did not bring your discontentment to our attention during your stay; this would have allowed us to assist you right away to ensure a pleasant stay. We go out of our way to ascertain that guests leave with a memorable experience. This is evident if one read the numerous positive comments in our guestbook …
We have traced the source (website) that you used when you booked at Labri Manor. The specific website portal promotes our guesthouse amongst thousands of other establishments and has innocently post incorrect information about Labri Manor on their website. You can imagine that we are as upset as you are…
We therefore apologize for not meeting your expectations. We will see to it that our listing on this particular website will be updated to give an accurate representation of the services and facilities offered by Labri Manor.
You would notice on our own website that:
1. Labri Manor is not advertised as a big hotel but as a guesthouse. We focus on creating a warm, homely environment at Labri. Our building is more than 100 years old and you would therefore expect a home with character.
2. Labri Manor is also not advertised as having a spa facility or centre. We had an intimate wellness room on the premises and now only offer in-house wellness treatments in the privacy of the guest's room. Treatments need to be pre-booked.
3. You also did not book a Luxury Room, but a Classic room, which is not as spacious as our Luxury rooms. Every Luxury room is furnished with a Victorian bath and en-suite bathroom with a shower.
3. We offered a warm buffet breakfast during the peak season. Guests are however welcome to order eggs/a cooked breakfast according to their preference. We will be sure to communicate this more clearly in future.
4. Labri Manor has a Roman Plunge Pool. It is not possible to indicate this facility on our listings as we have to either “tick” swimming pool or not on standard listed websites… 3
5. Kindly note that Labri Manor get’s inspected once a year and has recently again qualified for a 4 star Rating…. This was done by the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa.
We trust this letter offers some clarification.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC