Just got back from a 5 night stay at Aggies. Having travelled extensively and stayed at many resorts, plus, having read tripadvisor feedback prior to booking and going, I had some expectations. They were: resort layout will be great, service will be slow (it IS a pacific island so that's par for the course), social activities will be happening, happy hour at the bar - woo hoo!, fruit will be plentiful and delicious, desserts will either suck or be great,and I'm gonna put on weight from the breakfast buffet and cocktails.
So... here is the reality we walked into:
- Turned up 90 minutes prior to check-in time at 2pm. Was told our room was ready BUT if we wanted to get into it early, we had to pay T$36 per hour. I have NEVER been told this anywhere else. Way to make us feel welcome! NOT!
- The room might have been ready early, but when we finally got into it there was no soap, shampoo/conditioner, etc. So rang reception, who apologised and said someone would bring some. 2 hours later, none delivered, so another phone call only a 20 min wait this time.
- The room has a TV with limited channels - 2 I think. The rest of the channels play DVDs on loop - the same DVD each channel for 24 hours... but NO schedule. So you have to sit and watch to see when the movie will start. Great if you want to see how the movie ends BEFORE you see how it starts. lol. Normally, we wouldn't watch TV but early bedtimes due to child meant it would have been nice. Instead, we did lots of reading.
- The room was clean and tidy in general, and comfortable. Nice strong showers and great air-conditioning.
- If you want your breakfast buffet to have ants and small bugs crawling over it, stale cereal, and warm milk, go to Aggies. The food was overcooked, cold and flavourless. The breakfast cakes on offer were dry, except for the coconut cake which was covered in coconut cream (nicest but bland). The fruit was the best thing on offer but choice was limited.
- Hotel activities: a list goes up on a the board at reception each day but disappointingly, no one really encourages people to participate and often, no staff even turns up to run it.
- The hotel complex is lovely. Beautiful layout and surrounding. Gorgeous plants. Stunning wooden pillar walkways etc. You can swim in the pool or at the beach, right next to it. Nice big umbrellas round the pool.
- The staff are very friendly and helpful, and it was nice to finally have people great us with 'Talofa' rather than 'hello'. The service actually wasn't too slow overall, which was nice. You can lounge by the pool all day and not move: the staff will bring menus and take your order. They walk past at least every 10 mins. The pool bar is great :)
- The food standard was inconsistent at the restaurants, so obviously was dependent upon who the chef was, so it's really pot luck whether it will be good or not... which is disappointing as it's VERY expensive for what you get. Don't bother ordering desserts unless you like flavourless food and burning your $. Have a cocktail instead - they're nice and strong :)
- "Happy Hour" goes from 5pm-7pm in the bar. This means 3 beers, one mocktail and one cocktail are discounted. Great if you're a beer drinker and like those beers or if you like the one cocktail. Otherwise, happy hour isn't very happy.
- Drinks in general are delicious and boozy.
- If your kid has the 'kids eat free' deal, they will have on offer; one pasta dish (which is the same each day), fish and chips, chicken and chips, toasted sandwich and chips, salad sandwich and chips, and a banana split. Which isn't really much when you're talking lunch and dinner each day. Chips, chips and chips. Nice, healthy options. The room service menu offers many more kids options BUT sadly they're not included in the 'kids eat free' deal. Don't ask me why. Seems Aggies would like you to keep the kids eating in your bedroom if you want options... :(
We enjoyed our stay as the place was beautiful, the pool lovely and the staff friendly, however, we wouldn't return because the food was a huge let down (I only put on 2 pounds in 13 days and that is NOT normal for my holidays!!! I'll blame that on the drinks rather than the meals, lol) and our welcome did not make us feel welcome.
- Also Known As:
- Aggie Grey`s Lagoon, Beach Hotel
- Aggie Grey`s Lagoon, Beach Hotel Apia
- Aggie Grey`s Lagoon, Beach Resort And Spa
- Aggie Greys Lagoon Beach Resort
- Aggie Greys
- Aggie Greys Lagoon Beach Hotel
- Aggie Grey
- Aggie Grey's Lagoon, Beach Resort & Spa Samoa/Apia
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Aggie Grey's Lagoon, Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.