On arrival after a long drive we enjoyed the volcanic mud bath and the following mineral bath, steam room and relaxation session. The outdoor "Buddha Pool" completed the experience. The spa staff were very attentive without being intrusive or obsequious. On other days we appreciated the hot pool and the cooler (but smaller) swimming pool. Compared with the luxurious and impressive spa facilities, the room itself was rather basic for the price although adequate. The room balcony was part of a fire exit route so we felt it was not as private as we might have liked. Although adjacent to the road, we were not bothered by traffic noise. We were initially surprised that there was no restaurant on-site, but the wide choice of places to eat within a few steps along Lincoln Avenue made up for that. It was nice to have free bicycles for exploring the local area, but we found them hard to handle and it took some time to get accustomed to the lack of lever brakes. The back-pedal brakes meant that at stop signs and traffic lights we tended to fall over because the foot we would have put to the ground for balance was busy braking! I'd recommend hiring a decent bike from the place along the street to make your cycling more enjoyable. The reception staff were very helpful with advice about where to cycle, and although some of our route was on main roads, we did not feel threatened by traffic as we might have done on similarly-busy roads in England.
- Also Known As:
- Indian Springs Spa And Resort Calistoga
- Indian Springs Hotel Calistoga
- Indian Springs Spa And Resort
- Indian Springs Spa Calistoga
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic Indian Springs Resort and Spa sits on 16 landscaped acres in the town of Calistoga. Our accommodations include lodge rooms, 1 and 2 bedroom cottages , 3 bedroom Merchant House and a two bedroom Hill House overlooking the valley. The highlight of our property is our historic 1914 Olympic sized mineral pool kept toasty year-round from our 4 geysers. Our award winning spa offers classic mudbaths, massage and facial treatments. Come take the Waters! ... more less