This place is awesome. We scored some cheap tix from DC to Liberia but only had the 3 days of Memorial weekend for our visit. We needed some place close to the airport and totally hit the jackpot by choosing Hacienda Guachipelin. The hotel is easy to find and a pretty straight drive from the airport. Maria in reception was so helpful. The grounds are lush and beautiful with lots of guys taking good care of all of the plants. The rooms are comfortable - simply appointed, very clean, and cozy. The beds were totally fine and we got 2 great nights sleep. Housekeeping made us an adorable towel swan pair and put flowers all over. Breakfast is AMAZING, with made to order omelets, yummy pastries, and juices. There were different items offered each day. Lunch was also good and included in our adventure package. Dinner was more hit or miss. The little burritos and pizza were our favorites and we liked eating in the bar for a change of pace.
The best thing about Hacienda Guachipelin is the available menu of activities. We only had 3 days and we did it all! Zipline, canyon tour, horseback riding, tubing, hike in Rincon to see volcanic action and howler monkeys, and 2 days of relaxing hot springs. Monday before our flight, I even got up and took a little hike to a nearby waterfall and swimming hole. The entire adventure staff is super professional and a lot of fun. They have a laid back and calm approach that puts you at ease to try new things and live la Pura Vida. All of the equipment looked well cared for and safe. The relatively low cost of $85 for all of this was SOOOO worth it. It is some of the best money I have ever spent on vacation! One thing about the zip line is that their set up is really quite unique. We have gone on canopy tours in Honduras and Ecuador but this one is cool because it is through a river canyon. You also get to rappel down into the canyon, do tarzan swings, and rock walls. It's VERY COOL. If you dare, go upside down for a really great view of the river!
Another note: You do not need a guide to go to either the waterfalls or the national park. You can do those on your own time at your own pace. I recommend using your day pass to do the canopy, horseback riding, and tubing. Those are all super worth it and you couldn't do them by yourself.
After 2 nights and 3 days our appetite for adventure had been sated. We probably would have left and headed to the beach if we had more time. However the little time we did have was perfectly spent at Hacienda Guachepelin. We would definitely come back in a heartbeat and would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to try lots of fun new activities and get the maximum value for the money.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Guachipelin Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Hacienda Guachipelin Hotel
- Hacienda Guachipelin Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hacienda Guachipelin is a comfortable hotel with 54 rooms, each with private bathroom and hot water. The best Costa Rican ecotourism lodge for adventure travel and nature lovers, located at the entrance of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park. This is the most visited National Park in Guanacaste. For the adventurer, there are many activities like horseback riding, the Canyon canopy tour, Rio Negro Tubing, canyoneering, bird watching, as well as trekking to the crater of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. Free transportation to the National Park and the hot springs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Hacienda Guachipelin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.