We recently spent 4 nights at the Beach Village, enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. It is a wonderful way to get the atmosphere and amenities of the Del without having to deal with the crowds and creakiness of some of the rooms in the hotel. This comes, however, at a high price....valet parking costs $38 and internet service is extra, by way of illustration.
The Beach Village is a collection of privately owned cottages and villas that are right next to the Del but gated off. We stayed in a beach unit on the first floor and loved the view. It is not, however, full of privacy as the walking path is directly in front. We enjoyed the activity and people watching, but if more privacy is desired, the second floor might be more satisfactory. There is also a set of condos behind the ones on the beach, closer to the pool. They are less expensive but won't have the glorious beach views. All of the units are attached or very close together.
Our unit was fresh and clean, but a bit odd in that the closet was in the bathroom area. The unit had a sea of pocket doors and a few (squeaky) regular doors that separated the sections of the room. This suite could have been extended into a three bedroom unit by unlocking adjacent doors, but the resultant seating area would still only have a sofa for two and one chair in the living room, so that wouldn't accommodate a big group very well. I'd suggest getting very specific information about seating and layout if more than two or three are sharing a cottage.
The room was clean, with the exception of a few stained throw pillows, and the bath amenities were excellent. TV reception wasn't great on several channels and our remote didn't work, though we didn't bother to report it. Finally, the pull out refrigerator got very loud, so we opted not to use it so we could turn it off.
The concierge worked with us before the trip to plan a few activities and she could not have been more helpful or enthusiastic. "Continental" breakfast is included in the rate and it was excellent, worthy of being considered more than continental as scrambled eggs and meats were offered along with bread, yogurt, etc. I also saw the staff making smoothies for the children. We ate a few meals at the Del and found the food and service excellent.
The only true complaint worthy incident was that room service did not collect our tray, which we left outside of the room, after we called. It remained outside all night and the birds got into it, making a mess and breaking glasses. Unfortunately, they didn't completely pick up the broken glass, and I stepped on a piece 24 hours later. Although I wasn't hurt, it could have been a big, unnecessary problem due to sloppiness on the part of the staff.
The Del is iconic and we enjoyed being able to use the facilities, then get away from the hordes. And, even during a not busy time of year, there were hordes of sightseers on the weekend and conventions during the week. The convention on sight took over the beach in front of the main hotel two evenings, with music playing until 10 PM, which could be heard inside our cottage. As well, there are helicopters and planes flying - though not too late at night - from the adjacent military bases. None of these were problematic for us, but might be for some.
The Del has a spa, salon and fitness center that were convenient and excellent. The massage and manicure/pedicure I received were absolutely sensational as was a yoga class that was free for guests. The beach is long and wide and there is a path for walking/biking that is well used. I would imagine that this hotel would be heaven for small children. We are fans, despite the eye popping prices......
- Also Known As:
- Beach Village At The Del Hotel
- Beach Village At The Del Hotel Coronado
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An exclusive oceanfront enclave of one, two and three bedroom luxury cottages and villas within the iconic setting of the legendary Hotel del Coronado. Units feature spacious dining and living great rooms with cozy fireplaces, and gourmet kitchens. All guests receive amenities such as complimentary breakfast at the oceanfront Windsor Cottage, personal concierge service, upgraded in-room dining options and much more. With exceptional accommodations, unmatched amenities and genuine service, this island retreat reinvents the resort's timeless charm for the 21st century and takes the quintessential beach lifestyle to a new level of sophistication and luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Orbitz, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Beach Village at The Del reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.