We were on our honeymoon driving from Seattle to San francisco and so we had one last night before we left. As we drove away from Mendencino, my phone wouldn't work so I couldn't call the few places that were listed in my travel guide. It was fate! We drove past the Sandpiper House and immediately turned around and went inside to see if they had room for us. Althea was so sweet and nice - the perfect B&B host manners of providing but not smothering. She immediately made reservations for us based on what we said we felt like (a small casual meal, as we had eaten a late lunch) and then let us relax in our awesome room with a bottle of wine. Despite the misty rain, the view was so serene. Even without seeing the sunset, it was spectacular. I could have sat there for days! In the morning I didn't want to get out of bed - it was so cozy. The only motivation was wine country was waiting for us and it was our last full day. We went downstairs and Althea served us my kind of breakfast. Yogurt with strawberries - the really good yogurt like in Germany. And then a specialty of hers that I can't remember the name of but it was like a little pastry/pancake thing with fresh peaches. Yummy! Before we left (and I really didn't want to leave so quickly) we went out back to take one last look at the ocean and admire the beautiful garden. Althea insisted on getting a picture of us which was much appreciated because we only had one other picture of us together on our honeymoon! And by then her homemade chocolate chip cookies were ready so she sent us on our way with cookies and lunch recommendations! Highly recommended. I didn't see some of the other rooms, but I have a sneaking suspicion that ours was the best! Top floor overlooking the ocean. Hope others find this place!
- Also Known As:
- Sandpiper House Hotel
- Sandpiper House Hotel Elk
- Sandpiper House Inn Elk, California
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sandpiper House Inn offers five spacious guest suites, each individually decorated with antiques, comfortable chairs, down comforters, feather pillows and fine linens. Four have ocean views, while the fifth overlooks the meadow and hills of Greenwood Ridge. Your stay includes Gourmet Breakfast, served in our breakfast room overlooking the beautiful rocks of Greenwood Cove. Complimentary tea or coffee and hors d oeuvres are enjoyed in the evening beside the cozy living room fireplace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets and Travelocity so you can book your Sandpiper House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.