We stayed here for one night on our way (road trip) from San Francisco to Los Angeles. The hotel was the midpoint and was conveniently located on Cabrillo Highway, so we didn't have to take any detour or turns inside any town. The hotel offered free onsite parking, so we didn't have to worry about leaving luggage in the car far from hotel. The hotel exterior and layout looked like a typical highway motel, but we changed our mind once we entered the rooms. Since we were 3 adults, we got 2 rooms on the upper level. So we had to carry our heavy bags upstairs ourselves (no elevator) on stairs. The rooms were very clean and had an in-suite safe to keep our sensitive belongings such as passports. Unfortunately the hotel doesn't offer ocean view double rooms.
The surrounding area was like a short strip of hotels and shops (on highway), but all were closed by evening (restaurants close by 9 pm). So basically the area is dead and nothing to do at night except enjoy the beautiful scenery of the ocean. The nearest town with some (limited) nightlife was 45 minutes away (by car). Overall, San Simeon was very quiet and limited with attractions except for the beautiful scenery that was the only attraction. There was a castle as the main touristic attraction in town, but we are not interested in historic attractions.
The hotel had 3 fireplaces where we sat and socialized with other guests. It was fun to warm up on cool nights. The people there were all stopping over from a long road trip, so it was fun socializing with other guests and hearing their stories and sharing plans and experiences. There was no cellular network coverage from T-mobile, so it was lifesaver to get free wifi connection in the rooms to still feel connected to the world. But the connection was very weak in one of the rooms. The restaurant closed at 9:00 pm, so we had to rush for dinner as it was our only option there.
The scenery in the morning was breathtaking being on the ocean front. But there was no clean beach for us to go swimming in the ocean. The hotel though had a temperature-controlled outdoor pools and jaccuzi, but we opted not to swim in a pool while next to the ocean.
We will definitely stay in same hotel again if we go in another road trip from LA to SF. For those seeking hot romantic experience (on their way) then they definitely should stay in this hotel probably for more than one night.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Cavalier Oceanfront Hotel San Simeon
- Best Western Plus Cavalier Oceanfront Hotel
- Best Western San Simeon
- San Simeon Best Western
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Full-service hotel, the only oceanfront resort property in San Simeon, situated 3 miles south of Hearst Castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Best Western and Hotels.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Cavalier Oceanfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.