We paid about $250/night in April -- which is the upper limit of our comfort zone -- but the Dream Inn was worth every penny. There's nothing like walking into a motel room and feeling instantly on vacation because your room has a great view. Not just a good view but a truly great, unobstructed view of the beach and pier. And the sound of the waves -- amazing.
I also liked the decor. It's modern, chic, and done in "happy" colors. You'd have to be a serious grump to dislike this place.
Everyone worked like a charm: wifi, ipod docks, rain shower head. We ordered room service once. It was delivered quickly, and the food was nice and hot. The menu is pricey, but the food is good. Our encounters with the hotel staff were also very pleasant. They were friendly and efficient. The pool and jacuzzi were nice but crowded with kids during our stay.
The only downside that almost made me grumpy is the parking situation. It's about $20/day. We chose the self-park option which is located across the street. The extra money for parking can really add up.
As for local eateries -- there are quite a few within easy walking distance but most have a touristy feel. However, we found a GREAT little spot just down the road on Beach St. called The Picnic Basket. We loved it for breakfast -- amazing fresh-baked scones, frittata sandwich, and porridge. All of their ingredients are from local businesses.
We also walked frequently into downtown Santa Cruz -- about a 20 minute walk. The streets in the area are confusing, so a good map is essential.
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our four days at the Dream Inn. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Inn, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hotel
- Dream Inn, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hotel Santa Cruz
- Dream Hotel Santa Cruz
- Coast Santa Cruz
- Coast Santa Cruz Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A fun culmination between the beach and the slightly offbeat town of Santa Cruz, the Santa Cruz Dream Inn is the ideal destination for a weekend escape, corporate event, family vacation or a romantic getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tablet Hotels, Amex, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.