We decided to head up to CB from Denver for some early season skiing in December to kick off the ski season. We don't normally travel to ski because we have a place in Breckenridge and therefore have easy access to all Summit resorts as well as Vail and Beaver Creek. Our stay at the lodge reaffirmed for us why we don't waste our time traveling.
For the price per night of this place we were shocked to walk into our room to find that it was not clean. Despite the fact that the finishes of the place looked elegant and comfortable a not so closer look revealed that the counter tops had a dried up coffee spill and grease on them, and the stove was not clean. We figured that wouldn't be too bad to deal with, and were going to wipe it up with no hard feelings until I decided to check out the bedroom. Based on my many years of reading TripAdvisor reviews I remembered some fellow travelers finding bedsheets that hadn't been changed. I just had a feeling about this place and went into the master bedroom and pulled back the sheets. Sure enough under the duvet I found rumpled sheets and hair covered pillow cases.
After a few phone calls and a conversation with the hotel GM we were moved to a different room. Low and behold in the new room the countertops were also greasy, but we asked the bellhop to bring us some 409 so we could spiff it up. Everything seemed fine as we tried to settle in. When I went into the bathroom and checked out what seemed to be a luxurious shower I spotted a seriously large hairball on the floor of the shower. There is was in plain view. Anyone who was cleaning the place should have seen that thing. We apparently couldn't win. The next day the management eventually sent the head of housekeeping up with the girl who had apparently cleaned the room, to make it right. At that point we were finding it all rather humorous. It was just baffling because there was no way they could explain away the issue...but they did give us two chocolates for our troubles. (!) Like I said...humorous.
As we prepared to go to bed that night we were so skeeved out about getting into bed that we found another folded fitted sheet in the closet and put it on the bed...just in case the other one wasn't actually clean.
Other amenities were OK. I used the gym both mornings were there. Although on the second morning I found that at 7:10 AM the facility that was supposed to be open at 7:00 AM was bolted up and inaccessible. I looked around for a phone to try to call up to the front desk to see if they could send someone with some keys. But there was no phone. (not sure who came up with the bright idea to not have a phone in the pool area of a hotel...guess they're assuming they'll never have a guest who needs to call for an emergency situation) I had to go upstairs and ask the two staff who were standing in the lobby watching football highlights to come and open the place up. The guy who budged loose thought I needed to be shown to the fitness center rather than let in to the fitness center. So after a trip down there he finally realized that I was telling the truth that it was locked and had to go away again to get a "building engineer" to get a key.
Anyway, I'm hoping that the place was just going through some early season issues that they have worked out by now. The location of the place is great so it has some potential of being great. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I most certainly will not go back and see whether they've straightened things around.
- Also Known As:
- Lodge At Mountaineer Square Hotel
- Lodge At Mountaineer Square Hotel Crested Butte
- Hotel At Mountaineer Square
- At Mountaineer Square Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just steps from the ski lifts, the Lodge at Mountaineer Square in Crested Butte, Colorado features premier studio, one, two, three, and four-bedroom suites with deluxe amenities, including indoor/outdoor heated swimming pool, outdoor hot tub, sauna and fitness room, bell, valet, concierge services and a full-service front desk. Relax in front of the fireplace and enjoy a drink with friends or associates at the on-site Trackers Bar & Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Lodge at Mountaineer Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.