We arrived late on a Friday and noticed motorcycles everywhere and loud, booming music coming from a bar near the office. We were given our room key, carried our luggage up the stairs and found that the key card didn't work. We were issued new room keys, and opened the door to a room that reeked of cigarette smoke. It was supposedly a non-smoking room. The bathroom smelled of urine and the door did not close completely. There was hair on the bathroom floor along with several cockroaches. The sheets were threadbare and the towels were yellowish. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, but I was so freaked out by the cockroaches, I didn't sleep well. Around 3 am we woke to the sound of about 10 people partying and loud booming music in the parking lot near our vehicle. The worst motel experience of my life.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
28 September 2011
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland for your recent stay in our area.
Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:
• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.
• Management and desk staff were reminded of their responsibility to see to it that our valued guests remember to be thoughtful of their fellow guests.
• Maintenance was informed of the cockroaches found in the room assigned to you and instructed to look into the matter and see to their extermination.
I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland. I think you will be greatly pleased.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC