We rented the eight-passenger Hurricane (23 foot boat) from Captain Pip's. The boat itself was VERY worn and had mildew on the seats. In addition, the speakers were broken and the radio did not work. However, the biggest problem by far was that the gas gauge did not work (which we did not realize until we had already driven the boat half way back to our rental house). We contacted them about the issue and they said not to worry that the boat had plenty of fuel and just to either fill the boat back up before we returned or they could fill it back up for us once we brought it back (for an additional fuel surcharge). We rented the boat for two days and filled it up the morning of the second day, as well as prior to bringing it back the evening of the second day. However, when we returned the boat, they claimed we needed to pay $110 to fill the gas tank back up (the original amount was more than $150 but they lowered it to $110 after arguing with us for nearly 30 minutes)! Since the gas gauge did not work, we could not verify it was filled up completely before we returned it but we explained that they gas sputtered out of the tank several times at the end of filling it up. They then said that was "normal" and that the tank actually needed more gas. It is my belief that they gave us a half empty tank to begin with and are making a business out of cheating unsuspecting tourists out of their money. My advice - NEVER rent a boat from Captain Pip's. If you do, you will be sorry.
- Also Known As:
- Captain Pip`s Marina & Hideaway Hotel Marathon
- Captain Pip`s Marina & Hideaway Hotel
- Captain Pip`s Marina And Hideaway
- Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway Marathon, Florida - Florida Keys
Region: United States > Florida > Florida Keys > Marathon
Free High-Speed Internet Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Suites
Ranked #3 of 20 B&Bs / Inns in Marathon
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:3 star — Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway 3*
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy clean, comfortable accommodations with the use of a 20' boat during your stay. Choose from motel-style guest rooms, efficiencies or one- and two-bedroom apartments with either open-water or tropical garden views. World-class fishing and diving are only minutes from your door in the beautiful Florida Keys. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.