I read the reviews and thought this can't be too bad, We have stayed at budget hotels before and we don't need a 5 star rating to be happy. We were only staying for 1 night as we drove back through Orlando after visiting Universal on our way home from southern Florida. About 11pm, I paid for the room and the family settled in. Be advised that the price on the sign outside is a bait and switch. We were charged several "fees" (not including tax). They charged me some fee for my wife and 2 kids, and a Resort Fee. It was late and we were only going to be there one night and leaving early, so I didn't fight it. The room we had was outdated and needed a major refresh. But again, this was ok because the room was cheap and we knew what we were getting. After being in the room for about 45 minutes I noticed a “bug” on me. Yes, the dreaded bugs we are all afraid of. I pulled up the sheets to uncover black stains and more bugs in the creases on both mattresses.
Needless to say we freaked! Budget hotels are ok, but cleanliness and hygiene is where we draw the line. I went to the front desk and advised the night manager of the situation. They apologized and were very accommodating. They offered me another room or a return of my money. Even though it was almost midnight, I opted for the refund and the search for a new hotel before my 15 hour drive home. We were on the ground floor and literally threw our luggage out the window to speed up our departure. We quickly gather the rest of our things and exited the hotel at a full trot. I drove down I Drive about a block to another hotel. Even though the outside sign had a $10 higher price per night than The Metropolitan Inn, our 1 night stay was about $8.00 cheaper due to all the "resort fees" not being included like the Metropolitan Express added. It's crazy that you can't compare prices by just driving by and looking at the “per night” neon signs.
The moral of the story.... Don't stay on advertised price alone. A nicer and cleaner hotel may actually be cheaper and closer than you can imagine!
In the future, I will do a physical check of my actual room and the mattresses before I pay.
- Also Known As:
- The Metropolitan Express Hotel
- Metropolitan Express Orlando
- Metropolitan Express Hotel Orlando
- Drive Inn
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Orlando Metropolitan Express
- The Metropolitan Express Orlando, Florida
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Olotels, HostelBookers, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Tingo so you can book your The Metropolitan Express reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.