2 adults and 2 kids stayed at the Helmsley Sandcastle in a two queen ocean view room. Here were my thoughts:
Seeing the hotel from the road made me nervous. It does not look like much. Once going into the lobby and getting check in by the friendly staff, I started having hope.
Parking is free.
The room was exactly like the pictures I have seen: Large, clean, neat, and nicely decorated. Love the room which made for a very enjoyable stay. The view from the 2nd floor balcony was great, if you were standing and saw through the trees. The guard rail is just the right height that you can’t see over it when sitting down. You can see through it though. That was a bit frustrating for enjoying the great world class ocean view.
The beach crew comes and cleans up the seaweed early and quietly. The beaches are great. The staff provided plenty of beach chairs and towels. They even gave us life jackets for the kids when we went swimming in the ocean.
The sand was great. In order to reach the beach, you walk over a small row of shells, mostly crushed, to get to the prime beach and water, so bring sandals.
The hotel’s two pools are heated and very enjoyable to swim in. We were told they were not heated, but they are.
We did not try the restaurant although it was full of happy people, and the smell was great.
The location is at the end of the dead end street. This made for very little traffic, which was nice. There is a wonderful grouping of stores ranging from candy to clothes that line the roundabout as you drive out and in. You can drive or take a nice walk to get there.
There were only a few negatives:
The main one is the bathroom. It is extremely small. The window opens directly to the walking paths and I had to put a rolled up towel to block half of it for privacy. The tub was so narrow that the adults had to turn sideways to shower.
The second is the smell of cigarette smoke in the room. The room was non-smoking, but the lanai had ashtrays. There was a slight, but constant cigarette smell for our whole stay. But, the bedding and sheets had a clean fresh smell. I am guessing the smell came from the lanai and lingered from past guests.
Overall: I would stay there again in a heart beat.
- Also Known As:
- Helmsley Sandcastle Sarasota
- Helmsley Sandcastle
- Sarasota Helmsley Sandcastle
- Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel Sarasota
- Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel Sarasota, Florida
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pink Stucco Resort Hotel situated on 600-foot private beach on Lido Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Amex, Travelocity, Otel, Booking.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.