Decent business hotel for a good rate. Wonderful location in the midst of the Magnificent Mile restaurant and shopping district. I think it's even on a walking distance to the lake. My room was nice enough, typical Marriott, comfy bed, a desk with all the necessary plugs, flat screen HDTV, a little sofa by the window, nothing too extravagant, but comfortable enough. I asked for the room on the highest possible floor and I got the 44th floor and the view was just absolutely gorgeous, overlooking the lake. In fact, I had some friends waiting for me in the car downstairs, but instead of rushing back down, I took a moment to snap a couple of shots of the lake when I first came in - beautiful!
The bathroom was disappointing. It seemed to be a in a desperate need of remodeling. There was nothing specifically wrong with it, but it seemed to have seen it's better days. In fact the whole hotel could use some refresh. They seem to have done some touch-ups in the rooms, but overall, it's time for renovation if they want to keep it at the level it should be (my comparison is the same level of Marriott in San Francisco and metropolitan cities like that. It does not even come close to Marriott in other countries, such as Singapore).
When I first walked into the lobby, the noise was overpowering. There is a bar/restaurant in the very middle of the lobby and crowds of people in and around the area. I ended up asking the clerk at the registration desk many times to repeat what he was saying as we could not raise our voices enough above the noise. I walked through the lobby a few more times during my short stay and the noise level stayed the same, even quite later at night. I don't know if this was a one time fluke with a specific group of guests, but it seemed to me that it was really the way the lobby was designed. The rooms however were quiet enough.
The staff was very nice. I had an issue with a smoke detector - it was making unusual noises as I went to bed and it was bad enough that I had to call the front desk. They sent an engineer up to my room and although he came in pretty quickly, by the time he figured out what it was and how to fix it, it was already close to 1am and I had an early morning meeting, so I didn't get as much sleep as I was hoping to get. When I mentioned this to the clerk during the check-out in the morning, she offered to pay for my breakfast and I declined due to not having time for it. When I proceeded to the Starbucks inside the lobby, she actually followed me there, found me in the line and offered to pay for whatever I was buying. I said, don't worry about it, but if you really want to do something for me, put some points on my account. I really didn't think much of it and pretty much forgot the whole incident, but sure enough, a few days later, I saw 2,000 points posted on my account from the hotel. I thought that was really nice. In fact, both the midnight engineer and the check-out clerk were so nice and apologetic that I was completely fine by the time I left the hotel (sometimes you just need someone to emphatise with you instead of brushing you off). The points bonus was just showing how serious they are about the service. The check-in person BTW was very nice and friendly as well. I would definitely go back to this hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile Hotel Chicago
- Marriott Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile Hotel
- Marriott Chicago
- Chicago Marriott
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Encounter a renowned Chicago hotel combining the epitome of luxury and convenience at the Marriott Downtown Chicago Magnificent Mile Hotel, a Windy City landmark on Michigan Avenue's Magnificent Mile. Situated amongst world-class shopping and dining, this Chicago, Illinois hotel is in walking distance of top attractions, including Navy Pier, American Girl Place, Shedd Aquarium, Millennium Park, Theater and Museum Districts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Marriott, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Amex, getaroom.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.