My Detroit stay was literally at the last minute due to thwarted travel plans. I was able to secure a senior rate for $138 plus tax. The front desk clerk Sherron was professional and courteous. The location is decent and across the street from the beautiful and historic Westin Book Cadillac Hotel that recently opened after being vacant for so many years. I'd like to stay there but it's too pricey for me.
My room was small but nicely decorated providing a comfortable and warm feeling. It contained a microwave and refrigerator. The room was very clean. The outside of the window was filthy; that's not the maid's fault. The wash basin didn't drain properly; that is housekeeping's fault. Also, the toilet seat would not stay up; very irritating.
When I stayed at this property year's ago, there weren't decent food options available in the vicinity. Now there is an acceptable food option in the building, the Big City Grill that has a varied menu and serves alcohol. Presumably, upscale options are available at the Westin.
Unfortunately the complimentary hotel breakfast doesn't start until 6:30 AM. As I had a Greyhound bus to catch, this was too late. Fortunately, the corner coffee shop at the Westin opened at 6:00 AM serving my needs. They serve a breakfast sandwich, pastries, fruit and Starbuck's coffee although it's not a Starbuck's. (It's not a place with sitdown table service and full menu.)
Thoughts on Downtown Detroit:
As a youth in the early 50s, I remember visiting Detroit on a family vacation. It was such a beautiful, vibrant and bustling city. Many decades later, I also saw downtown Detroit at its nadir, an unbelievably depressing sight. Downtown Detroit has since improved significantly although it will never be what it was. The streets are still quite empty. The reclamation of the aforemention Book Cadillac is significant. On this trip I noticed another abandoned historic property has been rejuventated, the Fort Shelby Hotel, now a Doubletree property located a couple blocks from the Holiday Inn Express. Things are looking up, at least downtown.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown Hotel Detroit
- Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown Hotel
- Holiday Inn Detroit
- Holiday Inn Express Detroit
- Detroit Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Downtown Detroit is a first class hotel that is ideal for travelers who are visiting for either business or leisure purposes. In addition to our finely appointed guest rooms, we offer fully equipped suites with full kitchens for extended stays. Some of our outstanding amenities include a state-of-the-art fitness center, indoor heated pool, 24-hour business center, and complimentary high-speed Internet access. Don't forget to join us for breakfast at our newly updated Express Start Breakfast Bar. We now offer a selection of hot entrees! The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Downtown Detroit also offers valet parking for your convenience at fee of $20.00 per car per night, the lowest priced hotel parking in the downtown area. Located in the heart of downtown Detroit, the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites is within walking distance of Cobo Convention Center, Joe Louis Arena (Detroit Red Wings) and the new MGM Grand Casino. The hotel is also positioned perfectly near the People Mover, Greektown Casino, Motor City Casino, Detroit Opera House, Fox Theatre, Hard Rock Cafe, Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers), and Ford Field (Detroit Lions). For the busy executive, the hotel is located only 1-2 blocks from Compuware World Headquarters, DTE Energy, and AT&T, just to name a few. The General Motors World Headquarters, famously known as the Renaissance Center, is located less than one mile from the hotel and is open to the public during weekdays for tours and shopping. Visitors can even venture off across the border into Canada by crossing the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel into Windsor, Canada. For your next visit to Detroit, Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites of Downtown Detroit! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Travelocity, Otel and Agoda so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.