We recently stayed at this hotel when in town for a youth baseball tournament. We were given by the baseball association a list of hotels we were required to use and this hotel was part of that list with special rates. We were 12 families/14 rooms (that was just our team, there was another team in the hotel as well that ran into these same issues). From the day we arrived, there were problems.
1. Many of us were not able to get into our rooms until 7pm. with at least one room still being cleaned at that time. We were told there was a group checking out ahead of us and they were given late check-outs. I'm not sure if this is true, because what hotel allows a group late check-out, when they have other groups checking in? Regardless, the guaranteed check-in time was not met.
2. Although the rooms were non-smoking a couple families ended up switching due to the smell of cigarettes in their room.
3. One family had a pipe burst in their bathroom.
4. The hotel seems to have a mold problem as there were several rooms with mold in them.
5. Housekeeping was friendly, but slow! It was not unusual for them to still be cleaning into the early evening.
6. Both teams set up BBQ's on the pool deck. The other team had confirmed ahead of time that it was allowed, but were told otherwise partway through cooking dinner. Fortunately our team was done with dinner, but the other team was forced to extinguish their grills with partially cooked food on them. They weren't given the option of moving somewhere else.
7. We were told not to re-arrange any of the pool furniture around as the "regulars" like it set up the way it is. Who doesn't move pool chairs around at a pool? We may not be regulars, but we were generating a lot of revenue for the hotel that week and I saw very minimal people other than our teams in the hotel or by the pool.
8. We were blamed and scolded for blocking open the side hotel door by the pool for security reasons, although the key card unit did not work and would not allow entry (even the manager's master key did not work as she discovered), and yet the security door on the other end of the hotel (by the parking lot) didn't even require you to scan a card to get in. Maintenance did fix both of the problems.
9. Our parents and kids were the only people in breakfast one morning. One of the parents attempted to change the channel on the TV away from the news and to something more child-appropriate and the woman running the breakfast became very upset and confrontational and would not allow the channel to be changed because it was "policy" to keep it on the news and told the parent to leave. Those of us who spoke up in defense were also told to leave. (The hotel staff, from the maintenance man to front desk staff, seemed to recite the word "policy" frequently.)
Overall, it was just a poor quality hotel with even poorer quality staff.
We finally did end up abandoning the hotel a couple days early for a different hotel and were given a small refund.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
5 August 2011
Thank you so much for your comments about our hotel. I was sorry to hear the news from your coach that your team lost all their games at the tournament and that you decided to return to Minnesota earlier than expected. It was a very hot week and I’m sure your team did their best and learned a lot on the field. I’m sure it was great experience for them. I would like to take the time to clarify a few things about your recent stay. The first thing I would like to mention is that your team received 14 free room nights, which I hardly consider a small refund. I do however apologize that we were not quite ready for your team’s arrival. We had not allowed anyone a late checkout but we did have some groups that did not leave until noon and it was difficult to get everything completed in 3 hours. Our staff works very hard to meet all the needs of our guests which also included drying the uniforms of your players during that week after they hopped into the pool after a very hot afternoon game. At no point in time was any team given permission to barbeque out at our pool. For safety reasons charcoal fires are not permitted on the hotel property and when tools were requested to put the barbeques together, I personally told these individuals that we could not have barbeque grills on the property and offered an alternative of Hines Park which is approximately 1.5 miles away and has picnic shelters, ball fields and play grounds which would have been ideal for any group. Although, your group had 14 rooms with in our hotel we also had another 109 rooms occupied by other guests which at times these guests would have liked to use the pool area but found that it was completely occupied by your group which included having tents set up in that area and it was also brought to our attention, concerns of safety because doors were being propped opened. In that spirit, the staff was not scolding anyone but trying to find some sort of compromise to allow everyone the use of our facility plus assist other guests in feeling safe while staying at our hotel. Lastly, the hotel selects news channels which are rated for General Audience viewing in the breakfast area. News is generally what is on in the morning and appeals to a broad range of viewers and is also rated G so anyone can watch the news. Our breakfast person has received many excellent comments over the last 2 years with us and last month she was the Associate of the Month for her wonderful service to our guests. We do expect our guests to treat our staff with respect and to speak to them with out the use of foul language. This is just a common courtesy to all. I however appreciate your feedback and felt the large refund that your team received should have compensated your group for any inconveniences that you felt you experienced during your stay at our hotel.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC