“Blissfull.. Mesmerising and Breathtaking.. A fantastic resort for honeymooners!”
We are honeymooners from Sydney going to Maldives for the very first time and just came back from the best holiday of our lives!! We spent 5 days at Kurumba Resort which was absolutely blissful, a paradise on earth and simply exceptional! The following will help you to understand why:
- After spending 3 days researching we finally chose Kurumba to be our Madives experience for many reasons. Firstly, we wanted an island that looked absolutely blissful and Kurumba’s photographs did not disappoint. It had all the elements of a complete resort holiday including its own coral reef for snorkelling, a variety of restaurants, various activities throughout the day, beautiful room choices and great reviews on trip advisor. We also realised after conducting our research that travel to and from Maldivian resorts can get quite expensive if you are staying with a resort that is very far away as they require seaplane transfers that can cost upto $400-$500 per person return. Kurumba however is fairly close by to the airport and so only requires speed boat transfer which is much more affordable and time efficient at $70 per person return and a 10 minute boat trip. Kurumba is also an affordable Maldive holiday option.. you definitely get your money’s worth and you feel like you should be paying much more for your holiday than you really are!
- We had contacted Kurumba after making our booking to request a particular room based on the resort map and other trip advisor reviews. The General Manager Jason and Manager Vinay were very helpful and prompt in their responses and we were looking forward to a great holiday with great room!
- Upon arriving at Male airport we were excited to see our ride! It was a beautiful speed boat with leather seats and it was fully airconditioned! We were definitely greeted in style! We got a chance to view and whizz past other islands around which was lovely to see. The 10 min speed boat journey came to an end quickly and we were pleasantly surprised with the view of Kurumba Resort approaching us. It looked like a scene from a film with a beautiful wooden pier/jetty leading up to the resort. We were greeted with coconut icecream and were actually given our requested room!
- We had opted for a Deluxe Bungalow and we highly recommend these! Our room number was 208 and we literally located on the beach with the sea being hardly 5 footsteps away!!! We also recommend room numbers 175, 176, 177, 190, 191, 207, 208 as these are closest to the sea and look out towards other islands and the sunset as opposed to Male city.
- Our Deluxe bungalow was fabulous and out of this world! We have stayed in some of the best hotels around the world and our room at Kurumba definitely ranks near the top of the list. We had a King size bed with a very large bedroom and each morning when we would wake up we would be looking out at the beach and turquoise blue waters! It was breathtaking and we never really got used to it! We also had a beautiful and very spacious bathroom with an inside shower, bathtub and outside shower which was a real treat as we could shower amongst nature. Definitely go with the deluxe bungalows as it is the best value for money and is truly special! Also, being honeymooners they had decorated our bed with swans and flowers which was really nice!
- The staff was extremely helpful and would go out on a limb for you. Jason, Vinay, Judit and Ralf were great!! The staff would drop you off to your room in a golf cart if you didn’t want to walk in the sun. They also were great at suggesting activities and experiences we could do and we highly recommend the sunset dolphin cruise (at about $60 per person incl drinks) and the hideaway picnic where they take you to a sandbank 50 mins away by speed boat which was the best thing we did during our stay (at about $120 per person incl food and drinks).
- The variety of restaurants cater to everyone’s taste and have gorgeous food and drinks! We loved sipping our cocktails whilst watching the sunset and trying a new restaurant each night. All meal sizes were generous! They also had cocktails of the day where the drinks were only $6 each.
- As honeymooners, we were offered a candlelight dinner under the stars which was such a memorable experience. The head chef Ralf was very friendly and created a menu to suit our needs as we are vegetarian. Again, meal portions were very generous!
- Having snorkelled in Thailand and Vanuatu which are highly renowned for their snorkelling, we can highly recommend the house reef around Kurumba! Some exceptional fish species were spotted and we even swam with 5 sharks and various baby sharks which were very friendly as well. The snorkelling at the sandbank hideaway picnic was absolutely breathtaking due to the coral, fishes and turtles we swam with. We even saw Nemo and Scarface! Kurumba offers complimentary snorkelling equipment so you don’t have to bring anything with you and also have complimentary guided tours around the house reef to show you the best snorkelling spots! Also, for anyone who is not a confident snorkeler, swimming with the guided tour is highly recommended and this is when we saw the sharks as well!
- Getting a deluxe bungalow that faces away from Male city as its not a pretty sight and so that you dont have to see the airport. Getting a room between room number 175 to 208 is ideal and rooms 175,176,177, 190, 191, 207, 208 are right on the edge of the beach closest to the water. 208 was fantastic and I would stay in this room again! Look at the resort map!
- Buy a waterproof camera if you don’t have one so you can take pictures whilst snorkelling
- Definitely do the hideaway picnic as the sights you see are unforgettable and truly mesmerising and so is the snorkelling. The dolphin sunset cruise is not to be missed as well.
- Drink lots of cocktails of the day! They are great value and were really yummy!
- Snorkelling is a must! If you are not a confident swimmer you can go on complimentary guided tours and use a life jacket whilst snorkelling.
- Take a book with you to read whilst you laze on the sunbeds scattered around the island.
- Do not fly China Eastern Airways to or from Maldives. They are a rubbish airline and are completely unreliable always running late or cancelling flights and have pathetic staff. The day we were meant to fly out, China Eastern was over an hour late to Male which would cause us to miss our connecting flight from Colombo. Hence we were forced to not board the plane from male and were put up in a crappy 1 star hotel on Male city which is a dump of a place. They refused to get us seats on any other flights and we were stranded in Male for 48 hours. China Eastern have crap staff who don’t know anything about customer service. And when we were supposed to be catching China Eastern’s flight out 48 hours later they announced the flight was cancelled.
Get a deluxe bungalow!! Make sure it faces away from Male city as Male is not a pretty sight and you...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC