My boyfriend and I just took a weekend getaway trip upstate to the Red Hook/Rhinebeck area. I did a lot of research beforehand, and discovered the darling Red Hook Inn. It was a huge success.
Worth noting in particular was our amazing and intimate dinner experience. We selected our dinner entrees the day before our meal, so that Nabil, the chef, could purchase the ingredients that day. Talk about fresh food. When we headed down to dinner, we were delighted to discover that we were the only diners that evening, in a room that seats less than a dozen guests. It was like nothing we'd ever encountered before, a beautiful, but quaint dining room with soft music playing, and romantic candlelight at our table. We were both entranced by the lovely ambiance.
Our first course was a Mediterranean salad with fresh chopped vegetables, seasoned with a delicate yet savory blend of herbs. It was more flavorful that most salads have any right to be. Next, we were served an incredible homemade soup of carrot, parsnip & ginger. Leaning more toward a puree, it was healthy and delicious, particularly demonstrating that you don't need heavy cream bases to win over a soup nut like my sweetie. While we dined, we also indulged in warm bread, and our own bottle of Sauvignon Blanc (byob worked out fantastically).
For the main course, he had chosen the filet mignon au poivre (well done) and I opted for the salmon fillet. I had a lengthy discussion with the chef the day before about possible sauce and seasoning options for the salmon (since I don't care for pesto, their usual offering). We agreed upon a light, tomato based sauce for the fillet. It arrived with couscous, honeyed carrots and asparagus. While I felt that the sauce turned out a little too thick and heavy for the fish, the salmon itself was tasty, as were the other side dishes. My b.f. happily devoured his steak, cooked just as he requested.
Finally delivered to our table, was, in my opinion, one of the best parts of the meal, the dessert. Homemade warm apple pie accompanied by homemade vanilla ice cream. I was in heaven. The apples were moist and the crust was flaky, and the whole dish melted into my mouth much too quickly.
Overall it was a wonderful dinner, expressed in both the quality of the food, the attention to details, and the attentive service throughout the meal.
As for breakfast the next morning, while most b&b's offer some sort of standard spread for their guests, perhaps muffins, toast, croissants, coffee and the like. We never expected to first be escorted out to the backyard by the chef who pointed out the hens which had produced our forthcoming eggs. Nabil whipped up two savory egg white omelets with a little American cheese and some of the same vegetables and herbs we relished the night before. The result was just as indulgently flavorful as our dinner.
The bottom line is, if you're looking for a quaint yet elegant b&b to enjoy a weekend getaway, check out the Red Hook Inn. Besides the delicious meals, we also loved our room (spring for Room 5- it's definitely worth it), as well as the private outdoor hot tub. Pat and Nabil are so attentive and thoughtful. (Pat even lent us her GPS when we visited the nearby Poet's Walk and Millbrook Vineyards!!) I highly recommend this inn.
- Also Known As:
- The Red Hook Country Hotel
- The Red Hook Country Hotel Red Hook
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 9 Room Federal Colonial built 1841. 2 Brand new First Floor Fully Accessible Rooms with roll in shower. Carriage House, an addition to the inn, has two bedrooms, fireplace, separate entrance and can accommodate pets. Second floor bedrooms are all single with private bath except for #3, a two bedroom family suite with two separate entrances but one full bath.All new triple glaze windows, living room fireplace, community dining room (accessible), newly completed back deck, great covered hot tub and outdoor screen house.Great covered front porch with ceiling fans, wicker and rockers! On site parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your The Red Hook Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.