Spent a 3 week and subsequent one week stay at the Comfort Inn in Grand Forks last month and overall the stay and overall the stay was pretty much as expected, with the list of negatives being a bit longer than positive.
1. The bed was huge and very comfortable
2. The cleaning service generally did a good job in the room (only one day was it subpar, the day I rechecked in for the one week stay)
3. Internet wifi was solid and required no logins or other feature that kicked you off to recertify after x amount of time had passed (Though the public computer in the lobby was dreadfully slow)
4. The hotel has no fitness center but has keys to Anytime Fitness a short walk for the hotel. I found this to be a great arrangement as hotel fitness centers are generally lackluster. However, they did not advertise service at all and I did not discover it until after I had completed the 3 week stay.
1. Hotel is not ADA compliant in that they do not have an elevator to the second floor.
2. Refridgerators and Microwaves are not standard with rooms. This disappointment is probably fault, I travel on business 75% of the time and have just come to assume it's standard everywhere and didn't check when my company booked me here. This is the first place I have been where a microwave and fridge was not included with the room. A huge dissapointment for long duration stays.
3. On the best of days the hallways were a mess, on the worst of days they were like cess pools. It seemed everyone (including hotel cleaning staff) was using the hallways and stairwells as trash recepticles, it was everywhere, and alot of it was food items. One night returned to my room to find about 30' down the hallway the cleaning staff had left a pile of dirty towels about 3' high to sit there overnight.
4. Cleaning staff seemed to be on a late schedule. And while this wasn't an issue during the week, on weekends I would return to the room to rest for a few hours/shower between day and night activities to find my room still dirty and having to delay showers/activities so the room would be available to be cleaned. The silver lining in this is I was never awoken by the cleaning staff at a ridiculously early hour for a Sunday to clean the room.
5. The cleaning service had a very odd system to clean, which resulted in most of the rooms being left wide open for extended periods of time and often unsupervised. If one were less honorable and so inclined, there was ample oppurtunity to steal whatever one wanted from almost any room on the second floor with little to no chance of being caught. I am glad I am in the habit of keeping my valuables with me when travelling.
Request the first floor unless you are packing light.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
13 January 2012
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our comfortable beds and good cleaning service.
Unfortunatily, it is not possible to install an elevator in our hotel. Currently our hotel is ADA compliant and serves several guests with disabilities every month. We take pride in ensuring our hotel is ADA compliant so that our guests with disabilities can enjoy all of our amenities. Our hotel also has a handicap room available on the first floor that is ADA compliant for our guests.
We understand how important it is to provide our guests with refrigerators and microwaves. Currently we are purchasing more of these items until they are standard in every room. Right now about half of our rooms have a refrigerator and our Suites come standard them as well. Please request a refrigerator and microwave when making your reservation and we will try to do our best to put you in a room with one!
We are sorry to hear that our hallways were messy. We take pride in keeping our hotel clean. When our housekeepers are cleaning rooms during the day the hallway does get cluttered with bags and this is unavoidable. The housekeepers try to take the bags of trash outside as soon as they are full. Our housekeepers are also trained not to leave any dirty towels in the hallways after their shift. Sometimes we have long-term guests that will set out their dirty towels in the hallway. Our staff cleans this up as soon as they notice it when they arrive in the mornings.
Some days the housekeeping staff is on a late schedule to accommodate some guests who work overnight shifts. We understand the importance of not disturbing our guests. We are happy to honor housekeeping requests for when you would like your room serviced so that we do not inconvenience you.
Our hotel has a very strict policy that no doors to occupied guest rooms are to be left open. The doors to the rooms that you saw open were rooms that were unoccupied and empty that were left open for inspection by our executive housekeeper. We do this so that we can ensure that every guest checks into a perfectly clean room!
We are glad that you chose to stay with us during your 4 week stay and enjoyed our amenities, comfortable beds, and clean rooms. Next time you are in town please stay with us again!
Comfort Inn Management Team
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC