Having never been to Cape Breton, I picked this property on the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews and because Baddeck seemed like a good central location for exploring the island. I was absolutely delighted with everything!
When I called to book, the staff member on the phone did a very thorough job explaining the difference between the different accommodations available, the lowest-priced being the regular rooms, the mid-range being the chalets, and the most expensive being the suites in the MacNeil House. I decided to go for a chalet. Excellent choice! It seemed new. Very spacious; I've had studio apartments that were smaller than my side of the duplex was. Fireplace, very comfortable bed, nice clean well-equipped kitchen and bathroom, furniture and braided rugs all in mint condition. I wondered if it would be weird having strangers in the other duplex, but the structures were so spacious and well-built that I couldn't hear a thing from the other side. There is a huge lawn in front of the chalets, and other parties with teenagers were enjoying evening frisbee games there. Other amenities: nice pool and fitness room, bikes to borrow, video games for the teenagers, books to borrow on a bookcase in the lounge, gift shop, computer with Internet access in the lobby, private beach on the Bras d'Or Lake across the street, and a nature trail in the woods out back.
I have special praise for the restaurant. Over the years I have had horrendous meals in hotel restaurants, so I always pass. But this time, after a long day of driving, I decided to go ahead and have dinner there. It was excellent! The buffet had plentiful choices, and if I had wanted a hearty meal, that would have been my choice. I ended up having dinner there every night, I was so pleased with it. I was out sightseeing at other meal times, but wouldn't have hesitated to eat there. A local gentleman sings and plays music of the region and is very good; I was told that he hadn't taken a night off all season, so you can probably count on him being there! (That's him in the photo on the hotel website and brochure.)
And the staff was just outstanding. As a solo traveler, I was so pleased that the restaurant staff remembered me from night to night. They were warm and friendly and were a wealth of information about the area, as were the front desk staff.
I didn't want to leave. I keep thinking back to the gorgeous view of the Bras d'Or Lakes from the front of the cozy chalet, the nice staff, and the great food. I'm already planning ahead to next year and a longer stay.
- Also Known As:
- Silver Dart Hotel Baddeck
- Silver Dart Hotel
- Silver Dart Baddeck
- Silver Dart Lodge Baddeck, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Silver Dart Lodge has Baddeck's best panoramic view of the Bras d’Or Lakes! Relax, unwind and let our knowledgeable staff guide your Cape Breton adventure. The perfect starting point for your Cabot Trail experience.Featuring Baddeck's finest panoramic view of the Bras d'Or Lakes from McCurdy’s,our Taste of Nova Scotia approved restaurant with lounge and patio. Enjoy your afternoons and evenings with our heated swimming pool, private beach, and forested nature trails. Variety of hotel rooms and chalets, open mid-May to mid-October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Silver Dart Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.