We stayed at this resort as a group of about 25 from May 12, 2012 to May 19, 2012. I have personally travelled to Mexico more than ten different times, each trip all-inclusive and to the Riviera Maya area and also to Cozumel. I have stayed at the best of resorts and the average resorts and can say this is one of the worst. I will say that if you have never been to Mexico (as several in our group had not) you may enjoy it here as you have nothing else to compare it to. Depending on what is important to you personally will depend on if you are happy here or not.
1. Check in was fine. We were checked in at the hacienda club so it was very speedy. You will be asked for a $40USD deposit if you want to use the safe in your room. As long as you return the lock and key you get the $40 back (highly recommended) Staff at check in were remotely friendly, however depending the language you speak it is challenging, English is not their strong suit.
2. Our luggage was delivered within 15 minutes to our room by the bellboy, upon arrival the room appears clean, it is very average, no frills, etc. Water is hot and cold constantly, mini bar does not keep things very cold and the rooms are older and show alot of wear, i.e; water damage in bathroom (no exhaust fans) there is ample storage for 2 people, closet, drawers, etc. the beds are average and the balcony area is small but serves its purpose. Your view depends where you are. Most likely if you aren't on the third floor (with no elevators) you won't be seeing the ocean.
3. Our room had ants. Understandable that you are in Mexico and there are bugs, mosquitos etc. However the ants were so bad we complained. A Man shows up while we are in our room and fogs the whole room without a word to us. we had to leave with our doors open to air it out it was so bad and the ants were back the next day.
4. If you are going here in hopes of reserving al a carte dining, choose a different resort. The biggest battle we had was reserving dinners. They are not accomodating to even 2 or 4 people let alone a larger group. They tell you the restaurants are full other than 9:30 and 10 at night. Every restaurant we dined in or walked by had less than ten people dining at all hours. The reasoning from management was they do not have the staff to accomodate more than that number of people at a time. Do the math, 2000 plus people, eleven restaurants (which are never open at the same time) and ten people eating at a time. It equals you had better like the buffet. After hours of complaining and talking to management we did get a dinner at the Japanese Restaurant which was nice, however, plan to spend alot of time in guest services to do so.
5. The buffet was average, pretty much the same items everyday but plenty to choose from. Staffing is also an issue here, to get coffee, water, etc is like pulling teeth, not enough staff.
6. The beach is the worst I've seen in more than ten resorts. Rocks, dirty, and not wide enough to even walk down the beach. Even getting to it from the resort is a chore up and down a hill. If you are going here to spend time in the ocean it's near impossible. Bring water shoes and hope you don't slice open your feet.
7. The pools were average, they have several and you have plenty to choose from. Again, no staffing, pool bar opens late and closes early, no wait staff around pool, you want anything to drink you go wait at the pool bar or find another. Staff was also unfriendly and not enough to accomodate all the people in any kind of a timely manner.
8. The "free gift" is a ploy to try and sell time shares, every time you walk thru the lobby you get accosted to buy timeshares, etc.
9. The biggest disappontment is staff. There is no communication and they will tell you they are doing things that never happer, bringing things to your room, etc. you will spend alot of time on the phone and in the lobby getting no where.
I could list 100 small thing that made the vacation less enjoyable but its all personal preference. Again, if you have not visited Mexico you will think this place is great. If you have, you will be sorely disappointed. No way is this a five star resort, I know because I've stayed at several.
A few notes: The outlets don't work with most American plugs, phone chargers etc and you have to BUY adapters at the gift shop, wi-fi is touch and go. Free in the lobby but slow, and not worth it to pay for the premium because it's not any better. Tip your maid a couple dollars each day and your room will be cleaned great. The snack bar is never open, buy or bring your own snacks to have in the room because there is no room service and if you are hungry outside the hours the buffet is open you are out of luck.
I would not reccommend this resort to anyone, of the 25 in our group, majority was sorely disappointed.
PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE LEAVING THE RESORT
Just an FYI, the horrors you read do happen, in all the trips I've been to Mexico I have left the resort all times with no issues, rented cars, scooters, went to Cozumel on the Ferry, rode public transportation, etc. Unfortunately, this trip two of our group members had a scooter accident in Cozumel and were hospitalized. Words can't describe the unsanitary conditions for surgery etc. UNDERSTAND THIS: the hospital DOES NOT take American insurance, nor does the scooter company. The Mexican police will stand outside your room for however many days you are there and when you are discharged you have two options: pay CASH or go to jail. No exaggeration, and no compromises. The hospital and scooter bill were in excess of $10,000 USD and these two were held in the hospital by ar armed guard until they were paid. It is not like America, and they also will not let you refuse treatment, or fly without a medical report. They have made up tickets and ridiculous charges, and there is no arguing it. You pay or go to jail, period. Unless you are near death, I'd not go to a medical facility here, you'll most likely leave in worse shape.
Rooms in buildings 30-40 are located close to pool and buffet, request third floor if there is any h...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC