This was the second time we had visited the Golden Lion. We like to visit the area to take advantage of the birdwatching opportunities and, of the small number of hotels in this part of the world, the GL offers far and away the best value for money available.
The room that we were in, 117, was very spacious and well furnished with a good sized bathroom. It did have one drawback, hence the loss of a star, which was that the heating didn't work; I guess it was because we were at the end of the line. We reported this to reception and a well powered fan heater was provided which did the trick in no time. I am sure that we can't have been the first guests to have pointed out this problem however. The bed was very comfortable and we both enjoyed three nights good sleep.
I found the food to be very good, better than previously in fact, and very courteously served. The choice at dinner was fine and the food was just right, especially for someone who likes normal sized portions. Breakfast was good and, once more, served pleasantly and efficiently with an ample supply of toast accompanying the mains.
The bar area is very pleasant here and is frequented by many locals as well as guests, which must be a good sign. Prices are in line with normal pub prices which is also commendable. I like a keg draught ale if possible and the one available on the first night (Dales bitter) was poor with the only alternative available being Worthington Creamflow, which is OK for washing the dog in but not much else. I had to survive the next couple of nights drinking a thin but reasonably acceptable merlot as by that time even the keg was off. I survived these privations without any real harm, however.
Once more we enjoyed our stay and would return again without any qualms whatsoever.
One note for the management who I know read these comments: In hotels like this it is nice not to have to tip staff at each meal but to leave one tip on departure. I would prefer an actual staff box to be available at reception in which to leave such a tip. Just to hand over some cash to the receptionist leaves guests wondering, quite unreasonably I'm sure, if the money gets to where it was intended.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Lion Hunstanton
- Golden Lion Hotel Hunstanton
- The Golden Lion Hotel Hunstanton, Norfolk
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Lion Hotel is a magnificent historic building. It is the oldest property in Hunstanton, and the oldest hotel in the area. The Golden Lion hotel overlooks a beautiful sandy beach, with sea views for most rooms. The hotel has recently been refurbished to the highest standards, and offers outstanding facilities. A limited number of parking spaces are available. The peace and serenity of the Hunstanton area offer wonderful opportunities for leisure travellers and lovers of the outdoors. Hiking, fishing, sailing and horse riding are all available nearby.The Hotel houses all of the amenities and facilities you would expect from a Coast & Country venue. In addition, our staff will offer you a warm, friendly welcome, and ensure that your stay is as relaxing and memorable as possible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and HotelsClick so you can book your The Golden Lion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.