Trip Advisor is a great way of expressing views and opinions, but sometimes we miss facts. I have just spent two days at the Mercure Spa in Hythe, but very nearly didn’t due to the opinions of others. We went as a family of 4 and we had 2 rooms between us.
This review is intended to give a factual, positive account of our stay, showing how it went. It also addresses some questions / statements from other reviews regarding this hotel that may help you make a decision.
1) The hotel is not “drab” or “dated”. It is an old, Victorian property that still has many of its period features. Yes, the wallpaper and curtains are not “modern” but they are fitting in the context of the hotel’s history. There is always maintenance required on a building of this age and some features may appear “older”. The rooms do not feature contemporary design. I find it hard to believe that people conveniently miss the amazing height of each room, with the lovely old coving etc. The bathrooms we had were clean and of a good standard. Both rooms were not too hot at all. The only noise we heard was from the ocean throughout the night.
2) We must have interacted with at least 6 members of staff during our stay. This included receptionists, waitresses, a duty manager and the restaurant manager. Every person was not only polite, but were also helpful and humorous. We had a few booking issues due to the website that we used. They sorted everything out quickly.
3) The Spa – I fully support views regarding the peeling paint in the Jacuzzi. However, to sort the issue properly it will require the spa area to be closed for a good few days. This means more unhappy people as they can’t use the sauna or steam room either. It’s a lose-lose situation. I can confirm that no peeling paint fell on our heads. The spa and pool were excellent. Nothing was dirty. There is a bar within the Spa and both members of staff were lovely. If you want a treatment in the spa, make sure you book in advance as they are always busy.
4) Breakfast is a full buffet, hot and cold or the kitchen will prepare a variety of foods such as smoked fish and eggs Benedict. The waitress was great and always came to our table to check we had sufficient items. I’m trying to pick at it. The only thing I can say is £15 was a bit much. If you don’t have enough of something i.e. butter, then ask for more. It will come.
5) One of the massive plus points of this hotel is a 15 minute walk to Hythe and a 2 minute walk to the beach. A brilliant location.
I think people need to be very careful about how they express negative views. It can damage businesses and give a false impression, which is exactly what happened to us. On the subject of “a 4 star hotel”, stars are given out on facilities most of the time. Not on decor. This is a 4* establishment due to what it offers in your room and in the hotel i.e. a spa, pool etc. I can’t support every room being perfect, but the two we had as a family were great.
If you do get a room that isn't to your liking, just politely ask to be moved. This hotel has so...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
17 September 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your kind words. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the Hythe Imperial and particularly pleased to hear your comments regarding the service provided by our staff and I will ensure that they are passed on to them. I can also confirm that measures are being taken to improve the jacuzzi ceiling. We look forward to welcoming you all back to the Hythe Imperial in the near future and providing you with a further enjoyable and memorable stay. Kind Regards, Fran Ruano, General Manager
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC