I know I'm not letting any cats out of the bag here ; the General Tarleton has (quite rightly) been a renowned favourite for a long time, and its many attractions are very well known and widely reported. But it's one of those lovely places where a familiarity (however much appreciated and enjoyed) can breed a little forgetfulness. So, please don't overlook the obvious if you're looking for good food in an area where competition is fierce.
We called in for lunch one day last week, as we occasionally do, and were reminded just how civilised and generally (no pun intended !) excellent it continues to be. The smiling welcome was warm and genuine, the service was sharp and consistent, our choice of food was (by the standards of the house, I guess) relatively simple but nonetheless perfectly presented. The Black Sheep bitter was in perfect fettle ; the overall cost was modest. Ninety minutes slid by comfortably and we left having been reminded of just how good the G.T. continues to be.0
We've known the G.T. for many years and look forward to many more visits. Again, well done to the Staff Team for maintaining the highest of standards. A consistent delight.
- Also Known As:
- The General Tarleton Hotel Ferrensby
- The General Tarleton Hotel
- The General Tarleton Inn Ferrensby, Yorkshire
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For fabulous food, outstanding service and a luxurious overnight stay, The General Tarleton is the perfect choice. We’re housed in a beautifully renovated 18th Century Coaching Inn, with views across open countryside in the pretty North Yorkshire village of Ferrensby. It’s handy for Harrogate, Ripon and Knaresborough and not too far from York.We have a firm focus on food, using high quality locally sourced ingredients. Our patron and award-winning chef, John Topham, creates fresh tasting dishes for a menu that combines modern exciting cuisine with some ever-popular more traditional and comforting choices. Whatever your want, whatever the season, The General Tarleton is sure to have something on the menu to whet your appetite. For more private dining our magnificent galleried private dining room is available, it’s perfect for birthdays, anniversaries or just for getting your friends together.To accompany your meal we have a wonderful wine cellar, many vintages often available by the glass and often at prices you will find surprisingly affordable. Our fabulous cocktail lounge is the perfect place to meet family and friends for a pre-dinner drink or coffee and liqueurs afterwards. With sumptuous chairs and sofas, and a welcoming log fire for the chilly evenings, you may find it hard to leave.Who really wants to drive after a delicious dinner and a glass or two of fine wine? So why not treat yourself and stay over? We have 13 stylish bedrooms, each individually decorated and appointed to the highest of standards, with little touches of luxury and comfort for a truly relaxing night. And of course, a hearty Yorkshire breakfast is included too.What is fantastic food without superior service? We’re committed to delivering service that is a little more special. Our staff are professionals dedicated to excellence so you can be assured of the highest standards of service in an easy, relaxed atmosphere. Whatever you might want, we aim to provide it, so if you have a special request, please let us know. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The General Tarleton Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.