Overall, my husband and I had a nice visit. I booked this trip with Starwood Points and I'm thrilled we didn't have to spend a penny, otherwise I don't think the value is there for the amount we would have spent. First off, we were unable to find their website, which is not google-able, but if I were able to find it, I would have been more prepared... PoconoPalaceResort.com.
Here are our criticisms:
- They do not allow any type of glass back to your room, regardless if you have a pool in your room or not. If you plan to bring champagne with you, bring your own glasses. (Ironic-- they let you light a log on fire in your fireplace, but they won't trust you with glassware)
- The rooms are dated! I'm talking about mauve carpet on the walls/ceiling, tube TVs, Formica headboards, etc. It's a taste of the 80s!
- The circular beds are a novelty, but aren't practical. The sheets don't fit the beds and it's not exactly comforting to know your head or feet will be next to the floral mattress at any point when you're sleeping.
- There weren't blinds in the rooms, so the room was very bright in the morning.
- Meals: Overall, the food was decent. For dinner, I would have preferred table service every night. We had table service one night and a buffet dinner the next. I feel dinner is much more relaxing when you are waited on, rather than getting up for every course.
- The staff wasn't super friendly or customer service oriented. For dinner, we requested a table by the window, overlooking the lake. She commented the table wasn't set. I asked if we can wait until it is set... "Oh that will take awhile!" How long does it take to set a table? Do you want us happy or not? We waited 10 minutes and were able to sit where we wanted. I don't know why this situation was an issue.
- The waterfront is understaffed and not friendly. We were waiting for 15 minutes and I saw the sign-off form in the doorway, so I started to fill it out when we waited for the one staff member. When she finally returned, she didn't apologize for the wait or ask how she can help us, she just said "You are not supposed to help yourself." I responded we had to help ourselves since there was no one here to help us. Not friendly, apologetic, or accommodating. This confrontation put a damper on our day. If I actually paid money to stay there, I would have followed up with a manager.
- Although the mattress was circular and looked old, it was very firm and overall, we both slept very well.
- The wait staff for the meals were very attentive and friendly. This was unexpected since they weren't working for gratuities.
- Although we were told the weekend was sold-out (It was Memorial Day Weekend), it wasn't very crowded.
- The activities are all free! You can rent golf clubs, bikes, paddle boats, and fishing equipment and it's all included. The only extra expenses are the golf carts, but that makes sense.
- The entertainment at night was pretty good! The band plays cover songs and the comedians were funny.
Bring your own wine glasses, bath bubbles, and a log for the fire. They will not offer you wine gla...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC