My husband, our 18 month old child and I had booked to stay one night through Travel Republic. We got the cheapest price through them, but were asked to book a family room even room we only needed a cot, at an additional cost. I should have known from the off that things were not going to go well.
I had expected quite an old fashioned hotel but hoped that this would be the only downside to the trip. On arrival at the hotel it was evident that a large wedding was taking place and the hotel seemed to be very busy. After a while the receptionist did locate our booking and gave us our room keys.
We made our way to room 148 and on opening the door I knew immediately that I could not stay in that room.
Some of the room faults:
• The carpet was filthy! threads, cigarette ash and other dirt could be seen without looking too closely.
• The window sill was absolutely stinking, it has not be cleaned in years.
• The room was tiny, even though it had a double and a single bed in it.
• The window had been left open to try to eliminate the smell of cigarette smoke.
• The window overlooked a roof which had a yard brush lying on top of it.
• The decor had been unchanged since possibly the 1970's or 1980's.
• Wonky lampshades with exposed wiring at a low enough level for our child to touch.
I then contacted reception and they said they would get back to me. I had to vacate the room before they did as the smell and dirt were almost overwhelming.
Reception did locate a room which they called a "Traditional suite". On entering room 160 it became evident that traditional meant the same extremely dated décor as before.
• The room was much bigger, with a “stage” area as my husband called it, accommodating 2 chairs, a coffee table and the plasma tv.
• However the unique feature of this room was the remote control vibrating chair (it felt like a boxer was punching you in the back)
• The room was slightly cleaner, but cobwebs and dirty window sills seem to come as standard in this hotel.
• Wallpaper was hanging off the wall, the curtain pole was about to fall down.
• The carpet was stained and threadbare in many parts.
Under some duress we decided to stay as the baby was exhausted and we hoped this was the end of the disasters of the day!
But then we went to the swimming pool!
• We were asked did we want to hire swim hats at a cost of 1 Euro 30 or to but them for 2,50? Going on their past hygiene standards we opted to buy them!
• My husband then refused to go into the pool due to the mess and condition of the male changing facilities.
• The few lockers that were left were broken and there was nowhere safe to keep anything of value.
• The female changing area was much the same; the floor was dirty, towels left in a bundle on the bench and floor as there was no bin to place them after use.
• There was no changing facility for a baby/ toddler even though a lot of young children were in the pool.
• The children’s pool had a clown water feature which looked as it if was from a 1960’s horror film. (this didn’t work properly either)
We paid almost 120 Euros for this experience, and truly it was an experience that will never be repeated!
We only stayed because Travel Republic had already taken the money from our account, otherwise we would have returned home immediately.
We had a few drinks in the bar and the staff seemed efficient and friendly.
We did not eat in the hotel and cannot comment on the newer part of the building, but I can not understand how a business can extend and add a massive extension onto a hotel where the rooms and pool are in such a dire condition. I would advise the management to supervise and inspect its house keeping arrangements much more thoroughly. Or if indeed they accept such a slow standard of cleanliness then take steps to hire staff who do take this seriously.
Please don’t waste your money staying here!
Ask for the new part or just don't do it!
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC