A Wine Weekend Getaway at the Victoria Hotel
We had a great time and Sarah, you were brilliant, but we feel you were let down by a couple of issues
1) When we arrived on a cold winter's afternoon, it was to a not-too-warm welcome from the lady behind the bar. She seemed to know very little about our booking, in fact informing us we did not have a booking that night! We asked her if she was full, the answer was 'No' but she would go and chack the ensuite room. She came back down and told us it was 'fine'. We asked her about breakfast the next morning, to be told 'we don't do breakfast' (this was included in our package). When we went to the room it was freezing, she had not put the heater on when she had popped up, would have made all the difference to that first impression.
2)We know it is an Historic building with enormous ceilings, but the bathroom was polar. Cold lino on the floor would have been a little easier on the feet with the addition of a couple of towelling footmats, also would have been a lot more comfy stepping out of the shower!
3)We ate two nights running in the restaurant. The first night was great, we really enjoyed it. The second night, however, was very different. The room was cold, other customers were sitting eating in coats and scarves. The single gas fire was barely throwing out enough heat, it was draughty (the front door of the hotel kept open all evening) and worse, the gorgeous food (which was really gorgeous) was served on plares that were freezing. My steak was cooling down quicker than I could eat it, such a shame as the chef had done a great job, why couldn't the plates be hot?
Other than that, we had a great time and sorry if it sounds as if we didn't. The issues there are would be cheap and easy to rectify and would make so much difference to the overall experience.
We will come in summer next time!!
- Also Known As:
- The Victoria Hotel Rutherglen, Australia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Heritage listed building has changed little over the past 140 years and is currently being renovated to reflect its former grandeur. Think lofty ceilings, open fireplaces, gracious verandas, beautiful stained glass windows and a traditional Australian front bar with tap and boutique beers and an impressive list of wines. We offer accommodation, an award winning cycle concierge service and quality pub dining as well as more upmarket dining offer in the newly renovated dining room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelBookers and Booking.com so you can book your The Victoria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.