We checked into the hotel around 7PM and was given a nonsmoking room. Upon entering, the first thing we noticed was the smell of fresh paint, not bad. Wanted to turn on some heat, one of knobs was missing. Called manager who brought us another one to use. Room was clean and heat/air worked fine. There is free internet if you bring your own laptop but did not feel safe about leaving it in the room. We only had 2 thin bath towels so we had to go ask the manager for a couple more. There is a microwave and small refrigerator in room that worked fine. Also a 4 cup coffee maker but after the first day no coffee was left. Upon going to bed, there was no mattress cover over mattress, sheets were very thin and the bottom sheet was a flat sheet, not fitted, not even tucked in so all night the bottom sheet was tangled but the bed itself is very comfortable as well as the pillows. You can hear trains at night and the highway out front. The next morning we went down for the contential breakfast which consisted of fruit, cereal, powered donuts, bread and whole milk. Asked for skim milk and was told they didn't have any. We stayed 3 nights and each morning when we went for breakfast the same woman working at the desk did not even greet us or acknowledge we were even there. Completely ignored us like she could care less if we were staying at her establishment. She was walking around in the lobby and outside bear footed!! We stayed here because my husband had a conference at the convention center downtown and it was easy to get to. Will we stay here again, probably not. Did not like the way we were ignored, no mattress cover over the mattress is just gross and I want to sleep in a bed with fitted sheets that are not so thin you can see thru them.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
12 April 2012
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that it was a good location for your husband’s conference.
Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:
• The manager received our commendation for the courteous manner in which he treated you, our valued guests, in personally bringing you a knob for the heating unit.
• The manager received my personal commendation for the courteous manner in which he treated you, our valued guests.
• The woman working at the desk received additional training in professional dress while working. Bare feet are not appropriate.
• The woman working at the desk received additional training in the courteous manner in which you, our valued guests, are to be treated.
• Housekeeping was approached about the possibility of fitted sheets being used. Also the room being kept supplied with coffee was discussed.
I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston. We look forward to welcoming you back.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC