We just returned from our second trip to The Tyler Place. Our children are 4 1/2 and 8 and had an even better time than last year (didn't think that was possible). This year we immediately settled into the routine. We rarely saw our 8 year old who often spent the afternoons hanging out with friends from group. The food was even better than I remembered and my husband and I enjoyed tennis, mountain biking, hiking, kayaking and skeet shooting.
Over 80% of the families were former guests and it was great to reconnect with many that we met last year. A friend asked me if I had any negatives and I can't think of one other than to say, as other reviewers have, that this probably isn't a vacation for extreme introverts. You can definitely have "down time" but all meals are a pretty social occasion.
Advice for new guests:
- pick out your bikes as soon as you get there to avoid them being "picked over"
- sign up for the next day's activities the night before during cocktail/hour dinner...there is something for everyone from yoga and arts and crafts to sailing and mountain biking
- take advantage of the laundry service - very reasonable
- sign up for a family portrait when you first arrive - great price and excellent quality
- don't buy/bring too much food/drinks for your cottage. We tried to buy less this year and still had too much. You are fed amazing meals all the time (and delicious appetizers at 5:30). I'd recommend just some bottled water and fruit/granola bars for the kids if they are early risers and can't wait until 8:30 to eat breakfast with their group
- pick at least a night or two and line up a babysitter so you can go back to the Inn for the adult entertainment - Jazz, Karaoke, Dance Party, Monte Carlo Night, etc.
- when you first arrive you may feel a little "underwhelmed". Some of the staff housing lines the main road and the cottages are definitely not plush. They are however very comfortable and have everything you need.
- Also Known As:
- Tyler Place Family Hotel Highgate Springs
- Tyler Place Family Hotel
- Hotel Tyler Place Family
- Tyler Place Family Resort Highgate Springs, Vermont
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 9 age-staggered kids programs for Infants to Teens. A cozy cottage or family suite with separate parent's bedroom. Awesome, enthusiastic, counselors you'll want to take home with you. Exceptionally good, wholesome meals - three times a day - plus snacks. Evening meals without the kids - a chance to recharge your marriage. An amazing variety of land and water sports with no waiting lines. Lots of fresh air, green grass, blue water, bonfires and nights full of stars. ... more less