We stayed here for 2 nights to start off our Honeymoon and, despite a rocky start, we were overall happy with our stay and would recommend as an upscale beautiful inn.
We stayed in the Bridgeview room in the Carriage House and were the only ones staying in the house, which meant we had a full kitchen, dining room, and living area to ourselves. The house was built in 2008 and was well decorated and with high quality appliances and items. I would describe it as modern rural comfort, as opposed to antique charm of many inns/B&Bs. Soft pillowtop bed with high quality linens and towels. Jacuzzi in the bathroom, two sinks, nice shower with great water pressure. There was a hot tub right outside, but it had to be emptied after the previous guests poured beer in it, and it never got hot enough for us to use it. Note that there is construction on new structures and heavy trucks pass by the house, so if sleeping late is important to you, you may want to choose the Inn or Wine Wing as opposed to Carriage House.
The grounds were beautiful, and we had a blast when Ben, the maintenance guy, guided us on ATVs on the property's many trails (at no extra cost). The meals were overall excellent -- particularly the quail and salad for dinner in the pub (burger was just ok), and the eggs benedict and french toast for breakfast. The staff was generally friendly and attentive, and the Inn clearly has invested a lot of money to establish itself as a top quality inn.
That all being said, there is room for improvement:
- The cooling/fan unit is right below the floor of the Bridgeview room (actually hangs from it), and when on it vibrates the entire room. I reported this, and we were able to turn off the unit until they get it fixed.
- There were flies and gnats in Carriage House that were somewhat annoying.
- The wireless did not work at first and it took a day and two calls for it to work.
- There was no corkscrew for our wine, which was unfortunate given the fully stocked kitchen. Reception was not sure it had a corkscrew, and then one of their staff members said they might have to bring over just a screw. They finally found a corkscrew (not a good one) and brought it over. By that point, our dinner was cold. Not a great start to our stay.
- There was no microwave. Bizarre not to have a microwave, yet have a dishwasher, stove, and oven.
- Other annoyances with the kitchen were that the refrigerator had not been cleaned, there were no paper towels, and the pots had no lids.
- The bathroom light had a high-pitched sound when on.
- The bathroom sinks too easily splashed everywhere.
- No soap dish or ledge in the shower for soap, shampoo, etc., so have to lean down to the ground.
Overall, a great inn and we would recommend. I would just strongly recommend that they take care of more details as I suggest above, since they've already invested a lot in the property.
- Also Known As:
- The Hermitage Hotel Dover
- The Hermitage Hotel
- The Hermitage Inn Vermont/Dover
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hermitage Inn captures a time in Vermont's history, allowing you to relax and rejuvenate in a luxuriously renovated Country Inn. Surrounded by the Green Mountain National Forest, we are privileged to be home to some of the most attractive and beautiful settings Vermont has to offer. Whether you are visiting us during the splendor of snow, the vibrant colors of fall, the beauty of summer, or the awakening of spring, you will be able to enjoy all the Inn has to offer. Embark on a snowshoe tour or hike on our trails, relax in our sauna after a vigorous cross-country ski outing, or enjoy a rousing game of pool in our game room. Fly-fish from the edge of our stocked pond on a crips autumn morning, or relax and lose yourself in your favorite book in our serene apple orchard. ... more less