The location of this Hotel is a bit odd, being buried in the midst of a commercial center, so don't be too concerned if your gps has you driving past rows of trucks parked up on the side of the roads - its difficult to miss the big stone entrance. Getting to the main entrance involved driving pretty much all the way around the side of the hotel. Lobby is reasonably open with the small check-in desk being wedged on a corner over to the right. Check-in was a bit slow and it wasn't like they were overly busy, just two others in the queue. That said, keys were handed over quickly and efficiently once you got to the head of the line.
As others have mentioned, the rooms are looking a bit aged, and in the room I had you could see where there had been some water ingress around the window at some point in the past. But apart from that, there are fine; beds were comfortable, air con worked and wasn't too noisy, wifi access was solid (and at $10/24hrs, also somewhat cheaper than many other Hilton), and the room with twin doubles was a decent size. The bathroom was also nice and clean although felt a bit cramped, especially in comparison to the size of the room itself.
Breakfast up in the executive lounge was passable, but doesn't have as much choice as that served down in the main restaurant. The room is also quite small and struggles to cope with the volume of people who descend on it, and the layout isn't really that conducive to eating. Downstairs there is more hot and cold options available but these additional items don't really merit the price charged.
The bar is a fairly lively place of an evening and the menu, although typical bar food fodder, is actually well prepared and presented and nice to eat. If you fancy the comfortable chairs though, best get there fairly early as they get occupied quite quickly and then you'll be sat on the high chairs at the bar or the tables at the back where you can eat a meal pseudo-restaurant style.
If you're looking for more variety of an evening in terms of food, then within about 10mis drive in the World Center shopping area, you can find pretty much any food style on offer here. many of the places also do a good lunch menu, so its also worth considering if you're not fussed by the hotel offerings. Looking slightly further afield, Reston has a good selection of places to eat and there are a handful of large free parking garages dotted around the central area.
The gym has a reasonable range of kit and is available 24hrs/day , unlike the swimming pools. These are only available when the lifeguard is present, which are fairly restrictive hours - seems a huge waste to be heating the pool continuously (you can see the steam rising from it!) any yet only allow the hotel patrons in for a handful of hours a day. Why they don't just implement the swim at your own risk policy other hotels have is strange as its not a bad way of relaxing. The jacuzzi is also in the same area, so access to that is also subject to the life guard being present.
The hotel does have a number of shuttle buses that run a scheduled service to the airport, and can also do transfers to other destinations at request. The run takes 10-15mins and is a good way to get to/from IAD if you don't fancy getting a rental, or are just in need of a bed for a night with an early morning departure or late evening arrival.
Overall, its a decent hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, and with comfortable rooms and some decent food available you could do far worse that stay here.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Hotel Herndon
- Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
- Hilton Hotel Herndon
- Hilton Herndon
- Herndon Hilton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the Washington D.C. area's newest innovation in hotel guestroom design only at the Hilton Washington Dulles Airport hotel! With the introduction of its cutting edge Guestlink System, the Hilton has redefined the ultimate viewing experience, allowing guests who visit our Dulles, VA hotel and stay in one of 155 Business & Executive accommodations to connect any digital device (computer, game console, DVD, MP3) to a 42" HDTV Plasma. Additionally, these rooms offer ultra-modern marble and granite baths with walk-in rain shower. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Hilton Washington Dulles Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.