I travel to the 'burg frequently to see my family at Westminster Canterbury. There are not too many hotels that I have NOT stayed in in Lynchburg either for personal travel or for business. If I could always afford it and find a room at the Craddock Terry I would but the Holiday Inn by far is my second choice. It is convenient - right in downtown - other hotels are out near Liberty which is a little bit more out of town then I care to be.
This is an old hotel - they did work on renovating the rooms a number of years ago and it "improved" the look somewhat. The lobby is nice and clean and they have a little bar area and a lounge where you see private parties but rarely anything else there. The room I stayed in this time did have a really bad wall paper job on the window wall. But overall I find the rooms very clean. I have never had to go to the front desk to complain about hair in the tub like I did in another one of the hotels listed higher then this one. I have stayed here a lot over the years, even for a week once when a family member was dying and my room was always cleaned well.
I would recommend staying on a higher floor - was on the 8th this time. We stayed on a lower floor once and the noise from a party was dreadful and they carried on way too late. That is one thing about this hotel - they have a ballroom here and seem to have a lot of parties and large church groups meet here. Here again I stayed at one of the other hotels listed higher and they have the ice machines out in the middle of the hall and who wants to wake up at 5 AM when a large group starts to fill their ice chest non stop - that is right 5 AM!!!! The hotel can get very full and busy. If this was your first time here that might really make you frustrated but as I have been here and seen the hotel at all sorts of times I just take it in stride. The elevators can be slow and I have seen that the restaurant for breakfast can be slow but I have found the turn around time on my order has been much improved.
The beds could be better - they are older and pretty stiff. I hate the pillows here - I always take my own pillow when I stay here. The sheets are clean but thinner - not high quality hotel sheets you would find in a place like a Ritz or a Westin certainly. If you can I strongly recommend taking your own pillow - really a must here. Oh and the room had a flat screen tv and the carpet was clean.
Someone commented on safety. I travel with my husband and I travel on my own. I have never felt unsafe in the hotel. I used to bring my dog here too over the years and we would walk around the block at the hotel when she needed to go out. I would not venture much further outside that area on your own. Downtown Lynchburg is making a turn to come back from the ashes but it still has a ways to go from it's heyday in the 60s. The parking lot is lit and I don't have a problem leaving any of my cars there - including our convertible.
I have stayed here enough to be recognized by most of the staff. I find the majority of the staff very friendly and helpful. The waitress in the restaurant works hard and she is a really sweet person and tries her best to take care of you.
Like I said earlier I highly recommend this hotel over most of the others listed higher in the area than the Holiday Inn Select. It is not the Craddock Terry - old warehouse converted to a hotel in the last 5 -6 years - but it is much better then the Holiday Inn Express - huge ewwww, the Kirkley - hate this place and the ice machines, the Hilton Garden Inn - I had to wait until housekeeping came in the morning to clean the hair out of the tub, and the Courtyard - one of the worst Courtyard I have EVER been in. I could go on but you get the picture.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Select Lynchburg Hotel
- Holiday Inn Select Lynchburg Hotel Lynchburg
- Lynchburg Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Lynchburg hotel, an anchor of the new Downtown Lynchburg resurgence, is nestled in the heart of five quaint historic districts, with views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and a panoramic view of the city. The hotel is within minutes of the area s largest employers, such as Genworth, Areva, and B&W/McDermott, five universities including Liberty University, Sweet Briar College,Lynchburg College and Randolph College, and Lynchburg Regional Airport. Restaurants, shopping and entertainment are within walking distance, including the reknowned Lynchburg Academy of Fine Arts, and Poplar Forest, Appomattox Courthouse, Natural Bridge and the D-Day Memorial are just a short drive away. Treat yourself to the area's only authentic Peruvian cuisine in our Machu Picchu restaurant. Additional amenities include a seasonal rooftop pool, universal fitness center, complimentary business center, 32 inch flat panel televisions, free wireless high speed Internet, free garage parking, and over 12,000 square feet of flexible conference space. Our general manager, in his 28th year at the property is dedicated to a service culture that will bring you back again and again and again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Expedia, BookIt.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Lynchburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.