This hotel met my expectations. The room was clean and well-appointed, plus it had a great view of the water and Norfolk. It was also next door to the ferry stop and that was convenient, as I planned to visit Norfolk each day during the stay there. I chose the hotel because I was going to a concert nearby with a friend and it was close to the show and the other reviews seemed favorable.
Housekeeping did a good job of cleaning my room. I did not eat at the hotel but I had a drink at the bar and the bar staff was friendly. The hotel was busy but I never had to wait long for an elevator. Overall, I would give them a Very Good rating based on those factors, but there were some flaws.
The front desk staff were not overly courteous. I would say they were indifferent, if not efficient, which happens at any large chain hotel anymore. I arrived at 2 pm, but I had requested an early check-in. The woman at the front desk said my room was probably not ready, before checking the computer. She was then surprised to find it was ready, but they could not give me the King room that I requested and I would get 2 Queen beds instead. I did not mind that so much, but I did ask why. She simply said that they had a convention in town and they had requested rooms with King beds.
When I wanted to check out, they listed 2 express options. However, the TV checkout was not working and when I called the phone extension for checkout at 2 different times that morning, I just got a recording saying they were unavailable. When I went to the front desk to checkout, I tried to explain why I could not use the "express" options and the woman working that day cut me off mid-sentence to explain they were very busy due to a convention in town. I was not upset about having to check out at the front desk, since i was the only one standing there, but she should have at least wanted to hear my feedback. Either they get stressed out due to conventions or they are not used to being that busy, because the level of service seemed to be a notch below par with other Marriott properties.
If I return to the area, I will probably choose a Norfolk hotel unless I need to be in Portsmouth again. There were many options on the Norfolk side and it seems to have the best selection of restaurants, shopping and nightlife. However, I would still recommend this hotel to someone who wishes to be on the Portsmouth side or in a more relaxed neighborhood.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Portsmouth
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel And Waterfront Conference Center
- Renaissance Portsmouth
- Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel And Waterfront
- Portsmouth Renaissance
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blending traditional elegance and modern style, our waterside Norfolk, VA area hotel in the historic downtown district of Olde Towne Portsmouth provides calming comfort and soothing relaxation. The Renaissance Portsmouth hotel boasts a hip location overlooking the vibrant, revitalized waterfront and offers stunning views of the Elizabeth River. Set above the harbor, the Portsmouth Ballroom's unique outdoor terrace, part of the 24,000 square feet of Norfolk area hotel meeting space, provides a stunning reception area sure to draw rave reviews from your guests. This updated luxurious Norfolk, Virginia area hotel also features 23 meeting rooms including a 70-seat Amphitheater. Savor the atmosphere of this waterside hotel in Portsmouth at Foggy Point Bar & Grill, presenting a selection of fresh seafood. Visitors to the area can enjoy the unique experience of taking the nearby water taxi across to many of the Norfolk business and visitor destinations including the Norfolk Naval facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel & Waterfront Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.