Absolute Paradise is basically a house in a residential neighborhood. Though a sliver of ocean is visible from the inn, a 5 minute walk to the coast is necessary to experience the amazing waves on the coast line on this part of the big island. The black sand beach near AP is really something special...it's nude, it's hippie, it's local families, it's gay...there are drummers, and flutists, and guitar players...the surf is big, lots of sun, lots of shade...no road in sight...I really love this beach. And this is one of the reasons to stay at Absolute Paradise.
Also, I like that it's a gay hotel. After dinner, most guests gathered in the hot tub to share stories of their day's adventures.
I also really liked the casual cafe 3 miles down the road. Pahoa (15 min drive) is also a very cool little local island town with some surprisingly good restaurants and quirky live entertainment. The Tuscan restaurant and the Thai place next door were real standouts.
There were some quality issues that bothered me when I first checked in...the pool had a large rip in the liner, the pool deck and front garden area could use some landscape attention, and breakfast seemed to amount to some fruit and so so quality packaged bagels and cereals...I actually opted to go out for breakfast every morning.
However, the simple charms of this place, and it's amazing location won me over.
If you are okay with some imperfections, stay here and enjoy this amazing area of the big island, get to know some fellow travelers, and let your inner hippie soak up some sun. I would definitely stay here again.
- Also Known As:
- Absolute Paradise Gay Bed And Breakfast
- Absolute Paradise Gay Hotel
- Absolute Paradise Gay Hotel Pahoa
- Absolute Paradise Gay B&B Hawaii/Pahoa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gay, clothing-optional B&B on Big Island of Hawaii located 5 minute walk to clothing-optional black sand beach. All rooms have ocean views. In-ground pool, 12-man hot tub, large sundeck and garden. Close to Volcanoes National Park (come see the lava flow), lush tropical botanical gardens, snorkeling, hiking, waterfalls, and more. Thirty miles from Hilo airport. ... more less