I would consider myself a seasoned traveler. I’ve traveled to over 37 countries covering all types of lodging from campgrounds to 5 star resorts. With the wide scope of traveling that I’ve done, I try to write truthful and unbiased reviews, taking into consideration location, quality, value and overall experience.
From August 4th to 6th, 2012 my wife and stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot at Coconut Beach for our anniversary. This was my third visit to the island of Kauai. We stayed in an ocean front room that was on the third floor. Upon check in (12:00PM) we were told that our room was not ready, but they were going to give us a free upgrade so we should wait. We left to eat lunch in Kapa’a and returned three hours later only to be told our room was not ready yet. We were given complimentary Mai Tai’s (not good) and the bartender said if their busy they don’t make drinks for the guests. After another hour, we were told the room had a broken sliding door, so we opted for a room with two queen beds rather than a king.
We only ate at the restaurant for breakfast (we had vouchers) and the food was good with a nice variety from the buffet. I wouldn’t eat at the restaurant for dinner as there are better opportunities on the island for eating.
Our room was large (450sqf) and had breathtaking views of the ocean. Granite countertops, average fixtures and clean carpet were acceptable. The service needs addressing, especially housecleaning. For example, when I grabbed a towel after a shower I noticed a large dark stain on the towel, gross. I also noticed a brown stain on the bed sheet, when I called for a new sheet a rather upset man showed up 10 minutes later and handed me new sheets, not offering to make the bed. Some stains were on the walls and burgers had been flung onto the ceiling, obviously missed by housekeeping. Our room was also supposed to come with foam pillows (we had standard pillows) and when I asked for new pillows, two standard pillows were delivered, I gave up. This is not a big deal but it was option when reserving the room, so I thought it was worth mentioning.
The hotel itself has an open air feel, 70’s type construction but was clean and pleasant. The size of the pool is not adequate for this resort. We were charged $14.00 a day for parking which left us with a bad feeling because the parking lot was often full. There was a large gas fireplace near the pool where people gathered for drinks at night which was a nice touch.
Overall the hotel is a good value but service and house cleaning needs serious addressing. If they can improve on these issues I would’ve given this hotel a five star rating. Lodging is expensive on Kauai, so $285 for an ocean front room was a good value. Until the service and housecleaning gets addressed, I would keep looking for somewhere else to stay.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Kauai At Coconut Beach Hotel Kapaa
- Courtyard By Marriott Kauai At Coconut Beach Hotel
- Aston Hotel Kapaa
- Resortquest Kauai Beach Makaiwa
- Aston Resort Kapaa
- Waipouli Beach
- Resortquest Kauai Beach
- Resort Quest Kauai
- Courtyard By Marriott Kauai At Coconut Beach Hawaii - Kapaa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located on 10 beachfront acres amid a century-old coconut grove, this deluxe oceanfront resort hotel offers breathtaking views, spacious suites and open-air dining. Centrally located, many movie production crews choose to stay here as it's minutes from anywhere on the island. It's an excellent base to explore and discover the natural beauty that the Garden Island has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.