We requested a room that offered a view of the ocean. They indicated that although they didn't have a room that had that type of view, they promised us a nice view, which we did get from our balcony.
The Pioneer Inn is the oldest Inn in the Hawaiian Island chain and it does show it's age, but that's not a bad thing. In fact, it made it kind of quaint. Our room was a fairly basic hotel room. The bed was average, as was most everything else in the room. Again, this was a good place to "start" our vacation, but I wouldn't want to spend more than a night or two there.
The thing we liked best about the Pioneer Inn was the view from our 2nd story balcony which overlooked the 2nd largest banyan tree in the world and also the marketplace and glorious mountain range. You can see the view on one of the pictures I've attached.
What we liked least about the room was the loudness of the air conditioner. My wife and I fight over air conditioning all the time, I like it cold, she likes it nearer to the temperature of the sun's core. However, when the A/C was on, it was quite loud. I sold her on it's benefits in that it drowned out the loud noise on the street below (which is true).
There is a good bit of interesting history with the Inn, which you can read on the back of the menu of their restaurant / bar on the first floor.
If you're traveling via water taxi to Lana'i, this is "the" optimal hotel to choose as it is directly across the street from the water taxi. It is also close to a great variety of shops and restaurants, so you don't need to rent a car if you're just going to be there for a day or two.
Would I stay there again? Absolutely, if the circumstances were the same. If I was on an extended vacation on Maui ... not at all. But it definitely served it's purpose well.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Pioneer Hotel Lahaina
- Best Western Pioneer Hotel
- Best Western Lahaina
- Lahaina Best Western
- BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn Maui/Lahaina
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you visit historic Lahaina, treat yourself to the hospitatlity of Hawaii's plantation era while enjoying all the comfort and convenience of the Best Western Pioneer Inn. Although the exterior faithfully preserves this historical hotel, inside and around the grounds, visitors will enjoy up to date accomodations and facilities. Guests are surrounded by constant reminders of Hawaii's special beauty and will find the Inn's staff as warm and hospitable as a gentle island tradewind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Best Western, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.