We stayed at the Handlery for one night to break our long journey from the UK to Hawaii in late March. On our return journey in early April we stayed for three nights to give us the opportunity to see San Francisco.
We had to choose between staying in the Union Square area and the Fisherman's Wharf area. While the latter is worth a visit we were very pleased to have decided to stay in the former. It is in the middle of the real city rather than forming part of a somewhat artificial tourist destination.
Our travel agent recommended that we should stay in the old part of the Handlery, which we did. We cannot comment on the new part.
The Handlery is ideally located, just off Union Square. To get there from the airport we took the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) train to the Powell Street station, from where the hotel is just a few minutes' walk. To get back to the airport we had to take a taxi as we had to leave very early in the morning, before public transport had started running. The hotel staff ordered the taxi for us.
The location is very convenient for Union Square, public transport to visit the city, and also a number of theatres. We went to a fine performance at the American Conservatory Theater one evening and would suggest that visitors who like the theatre should see what is on during their stay. We got reduced price tickets from the kiosk in Union Square on the day of the performance.
The staff in the hotel were welcoming and helpful. We should make special mention of John at the concierge's desk. Unfortunately we cannot remember his surname. He recommended the best public transport ticket to buy and explained the transport network. He suggested places to visit and an itinerary which removed the need for a detailed study of our guidebooks. Without John's guidance our
visit to San Francisco would have been much less enjoyable. The receptionists too seemed to be genuinely interested in what their guests were doing.
Our rooms at the Handlery were comfortable and clean and had a character that is lacking in more modern hotels.
We did not use or even visit the swimming pool and gym and so cannot comment on them.
The Daily Grill is the hotel restaurant and is located next door to the hotel. We were provided with vouchers for breakfast in the Daily Grill. We could not use them on the days we were going to the airport as we had to leave before 7am but on the other days had an excellent and generous breakfast. We also had a good meal there one evening. There are other restaurants nearby.
Some Trip Advisor reviews have referred to a problem with noise from outside. We did not experience this at all.
If we return to San Francisco we will stay at the Handlery and we recommend it to others.
- Also Known As:
- Handlery Union Square San Francisco
- Handlery Hotel
- Handlery Union Square
- Hotel Handlery Union Square
- Handlery Hotel San Francisco
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Handlery Union Square Hotel is located in the heart of San Francisco's Union Square, within walking distance of world class shops, the Moscone Center, and the Powell Street cable car line. All 377 rooms feature wireless Internet access, mini refrigerators, and in-room safes. Enjoy traditional accommodations in the Historic Section or luxurious, oversized rooms in the Club Section. The hotel features on site valet parking, an outdoor heated pool, sauna, and room service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Amex, Travelocity, Otel, getaroom.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Olotels, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Handlery Union Square Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.