We booked a week at the Topeka, KS Motel 6 on Fairlawn Road for cheap lodging when we were only going to be in the room from late at night to early in the morning, and didn't need anything fancy. The pictures of the property on their website looked updated and clean, and the staff promoted the queen-size beds and newly-renovated property.
They lied. This hotel was NOT the one advertised on the site-- and we even double-checked to make sure we had not mistakenly seen the ad for the other Topeka Motel 6. The 'new renovations' consisted of a few planted bushes in the yard. The beds were doubles, not queens. There was no internet access, and the rooms were dated and dirty. These rooms have not been renovated for years, and the enclosed, modern hotel pictured was actually the old-style with the outside doors and balconies. When asked about it, the staff was clueless.
OK. Not what we expected, but whatever. Problems multiplied from there. Our room was cleaned properly only one night of our 7-night stay. We were never given more than two towels for three people, and had to walk to the office every evening to get more. The staff promised to change our sheets every three days, which never happened. Upon complaint, we were told that there 'were problems with the cleaning staff so please be patient.' One morning we were still in the room when Housekeeping arrived, and they promised to return in a few minutes when we'd gone. They emptied the trash. That's it. Beds were not made, the bathroom was not cleaned, towels were not replaced, and the floor was not vacuumed. We had to ask for more toilet paper as the empty roll was not replaced.
The Air Conditioning unit was broken and dripped constantly onto the floor ahead of the bathroom. It was never fixed or addressed. The ceiling in the area had a fresh coat of paint slapped on over wet drywall, so it's obviously been a problem for quite awhile. The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor anytime it was used.
Temperatures were warm during our stay, and we returned to the room one evening to find our room well over 90 degrees. The AC would not turn on. The front office clerk said that the whole building was either on AC or Heat-- you could not control the temperature of individual rooms. Someone had complained they were cold the previous night, so the whole building was switched to heat. We were staying with our show dogs, and they were miserable, as were we. We were offered a choice of two other rooms to stay in-- one of the choices was putrid with cigarette smoke, and the other had not been cleaned after the previous guests had checked out. We ended up staying in our room and opening our windows and running a fan we had in the car. In the process a screen fell out of the window, and it was never replaced or repaired. There were some 'questionable' clients at the hotel-- I would not recommend leaving windows open, but with a couple of large dogs, we took the risk to get the room cooled down.
We were locked out of our room repeatedly. Each time, the staff required us to provide a photo ID to have the key card reformatted. Fine the first time, but after several days of this, it got old. Then we found out that the staff had deactivated our cards thinking we had checked out when we returned one evening. Apparently guests must check out leaving all belongings in the rooms?
The last straw was the lack of towels. We returned to the room after a long day to find nobody had replaced the dirty towels we'd used mopping up water from the leaky shower and dripping air conditioner. We were told that there were no more towels available. We asked if there were towels in unoccupied rooms we could use, and the woman at the desk informed us that there were no rooms that had been cleaned, and that she didn't have access to the laundry facilities. She would not provide us with the name of the manager, telling us instead that 'he doesn't live here-- but he calls every now and then. I'll let him know of the problem next time he calls in.' We got extra towels normally used in the dog crates from the car to dry off after a shower.
We finally resolved the issue by calling Motel 6's corporate headquarters. They actually laughed when they heard the location-- it's been a source of complaint for quite awhile. They put us in touch with the assistant manager, who refunded our money for the week.
Upon returning home, we found that our dogs had picked up fleas from the hotel, and a friend staying with us found out that the rash she'd thought was from an irritating plant on a hike was actually flea bites on her arms and legs from the hotel. Add this in with the hooker we saw leaving the last night we were there, and you get the final picture to round out this awful hotel.
This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in-- it ended up being free, but I could have received better service and stayed in a cleaner hotel if I'd slept in my car instead. DO NOT stay here.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Travelocity so you can book your Motel 6 Topeka Northwest reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.