My wife and I spent 4 nights here while on a business trip to San Diego. This property was undergoing a renovation while we were there so it should be completed very soon. The staff were extremely friendly and took a deep interest in all their guests. They offer a very nice Manager's reception Monday thru Thursday in the main lounge area. What a pleasant time to spend with the other guests. The hotel manager made several appearances as well, inquiring about her guests stay and making sure everything was to their liking.
The hot, complimentary breakfast was also better than most Holiday Inn Express locations I have stayed with. The eating area was large and had plenty of windows that looked out onto the skyline. This property also offered a reliable, complimentary shuttle that would take you to the airport or several other nearby attractions. We found this hotel to be a very good bargain compared to the other properties we considered for our stay.
There are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores located in close walking distance from the hotel. We had a mini-refrigerator in our room so we could by some beer and wine locally.
The only negative issue we had was with the free internet. I had a good 4 bar signal but the service was very difficult to log onto requiring multiple attempts and once connected it was so slow it was really unusable. I fortunately had my aircard along so we just used that instead. The manager did ask us if we had any problems with our stay during one of the happy hour receptions. We mentioned the slow internet service. She asked if we were on the third floor, which we were, and she said they were aware of the problem and were working on a solution.
I noticed one reviewer mentioned the homeless people in the area. This property borders the Gas Lamp district and the entire area has a high population of homeless people. They are not unique to this particular hotel's location. Overall, I would definitely stay here again on a future visit to the area.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown Hotel San Diego
- Holiday Inn Express San Diego
- Holiday Inn San Diego
- San Diego Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is our pleasure to welcome you to the newly renovated Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown. This 100% non-smoking hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of America s finest city. San Diego s most popular attractions are within minutes. With our staff's dedication to customer service, the San Diego Holiday Inn Express is a popular choice amongst all visitors.The hotel is within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter. For your convenience, take our free shuttle to the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Cruise Ship Terminal, and the San Diego Airport. Enjoy our complimentary hot new breakfast bar featuring fluffy scrambled eggs or cheese omelets, bacon, sausage patties, flaky biscuits, and sausage gravy. The hotel offers free WiFi Internet access, refrigerators in all rooms, and a free business center with three dedicated computers. The hotel is two blocks from the San Diego Trolley which will take you to Qualcomm Stadium in less than 10 minutes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Priceline, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express San Diego Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.