We arrived in New York and came straight to our hotel, we specifically requested a twin room with two beds. When we entered our room there was one small bed, this was not acceptable as myself and my mother were sharing a room - I was 6 months pregnant at the time and we couldn't share a bed, we phoned down to reception and were greeted with hostility and unhelpfulness when we expressed our concerns about the room, we decided we couldn't stay there and went to ask the receptionist to help us find somewhere else, he was very rude and couldn't be bothered to recommend anywhere - all in all we ended up in the middle of New York, having only just arrived, 6 months pregnant and nowhere to go, thanks Casablanca!!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
23 August 2012
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for sharing with us your feedback on your recent experience. We care deeply that no matter the circumstances, we want every guest to feel cared for, appreciated, and respected, it is clear that we failed to achieve that primary objective and for that we truly apologize. While it is true that your mother used Bookings.com and selected a cozy classic room with 1 full sized bed, our smallest room and then requested in the comments that she wanted a room with two beds instead (our largest room) your experience has given us pause to think about how we might handle a similar experience better in the future.
1. Our partners at bookings.com have already changed the way they display the name of the room. Now instead of Cozy Classic as the name and 1 full sized bed only mentioned in the room details, they have already made the change to say, Cozy Classic with 1 full sized bed as the room name so it is more obvious.
2. We will also ask bookings.com to add 1 full sized bed in an additional place within the description so it absolutely cannot be missed.
3. By doing the two steps above even if a guest makes a mistake they will have this detail written twice on the confirmation from Bookings.com so the traveler can be alerted to the error.
4. Additionally, we will make every effort to contact the traveler in advance to confirm that when you book a smaller room and request a larger room, that request will be noted but cannot be confirmed by us. Our hotel is small and usually sold out so we have limited opportunities to upgrade, particularly to a room with full beds as we only have 4 of those in the whole hotel.
5. Although our staff knows very well that if there is nothing we can do to assist the guest within our four hotels, they should try to help a guest find another hotel in the area. The Guest Service agent your mom spoke to is a long term employee who is very skilled and experienced in offering outstanding customer service even in trying circumstances, but of course, it is possible that this was an off day. To overcome that we plan to formalize a list of standards in how to deal with similar events so we hope we will at least make a disappointed guest feel that they are not alone and we are here to help and serve them.
I do wish you would keep in mind however that despite the initial error not being ours, despite being fully sold out, after holding 2 rooms for 5 nights for you, your mom and your friends, our GSA and GM did not charge you for the unused nights, although we were entitled to and it was too short notice for us to resell them. They did that because they sincerely wanted to minimize your distress.
If you wish to try us again, I hope you do, and if you wish to ensure you book the right room choice for you, please do contact me personally next time. It would be my pleasure to show you the hospitality and service we have become known for.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC