Beware: many of the photos of this hotel online show the newly renovated apartments. The renovation is an ongoing project, and the odds are that if you're staying here in the near future you're going to be in one of the old, shabbier apartments. I think it's shocking that they're able to trade on the image of these newer apartments when most guests will be staying the older rooms.
Our first impression on arriving at the building was that the area was noisy and hectic, with the Lincoln Tunnel right outside (constant traffic), and the huge building site opposite (they work late and start early in NYC, too!). The hotel lobby looked lovely, sleek and modern; unfortunately, the doors were closed with a sign directing us next door to the rough and ready office. The man who checked us in was nice enough, but it did feel like a work site office.
I had phoned in advance to request a renovated apartment but as soon as we opened the door I could see they weren't able to fulfil our request. The apartment was small (which is fine), basic (again, fine), and shabby (not fine).
Here are the 'cons' about our stay (deep breath!):
- The kitchen fittings had bits hanging off, and the pans were sticky and unwashed
- The toilet didn't flush properly throughout our stay (toilet paper would be whisked away then would reappear)
- The shower didn't drain so you'd end up ankle-deep in dirty water by the time your shower was finished (we reported this and it was fixed - whoever fixed it left some black gunge on the side of the bath, and their dirty footprints on the floor)
- The handle on the balcony door was hanging off and couldn't be locked
- No plugs were provided so you couldn't have a bath or fill the sink, and you could see some foreign objects stuck down the sink plug hole!
- The bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly before we checked in (previous inhabitants' hairs all over the floor, filthy taps, dirt in the corners). There was grouting all over the bath and walls and the whole bathroom just felt grubby
- The free wi-fi was near useless as the connection constantly dropped
- The kitchen was very basic; no grill, oven or freezer
- You have to pay a $50 (plus tax) cleaning fee when you check in, but your apartment doesn't get cleaned at all during your stay
- The bed was sagging for a few nights then suddenly broke; we reported it in the morning and went out for the day but by the evening nothing had been done. We mentioned it again and two men came to fix it (no idea why they weren't called hours before), which involved lots of drilling, furniture moving and noise, when we were supposed to be getting ready to go out to dinner
- The lifts weren't reliable (sometimes you'd stand there for a few minutes, realise it wasn't coming, and have to use the stairs - which smelled of urine on some floors!)
Okay, now the 'pros'!:
- The area was great, very handy for Times Square and the Subway
- The price was good, but to be honest I still think we paid too much for the condition and cleanliness of the apartment
- No noise from neighbouring rooms or the corridors
- You do get used to the outside noise after a few days, but bring ear plugs anyway!
- Quiet, efficient air conditioning
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone in its current state. There's no excuse for the poor cleaning and shabby condition of the apartments. It's great that they're renovating the place, but it's not fair to be selling the place on the renovated apartments when most of them are in such a poor state. I'd recommend having a shop around to see what else you can get for your money.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
11 May 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the property.
Report response as inappropriate
The photos which you see online are a good representation of the rooms that are available here. We have removed ALL pictures of the renovated studio apartments to avoid confusion. The pictures in the "Professional Photo" section are sample pictures of the 1 bedroom, pictures of the 2 bedroom and the non renovated studios.
The area is relatively active, however generally in Manhattan it is a busy area and it holds claim to the city that never sleeps. The construction across the street is work of the city which has taken on an aggressive approach to complete the construction ahead of schedule. This approach put the activity late into the night and in the early morning.
While we continue with the progress of the property we have moved the entrance to this temporary location until the time become suitable to relocate to the future lobby. I am glad that the gentleman who checked you in was "nice enough" to assist with making this not so ideal situation better.
As I read through the 'cons', I humbly apologize for your negative experienced in your room. We are in the process of implementing a program to be more proactive to avoid the challenges you experienced. We have recently installed new guest wireless network throughout the entire property. We are in the process of tweaking the wireless to ensure that the guest internet experience is pleasurable.
The cleaning fee is for the one time cleaning that was done for your arrival.
Thank you for staying with us and please stay tuned for the completion of the upgrades.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC