I was so ridiculously excited to stay here until I started reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor and started to worry a bit. I hoped that my stay wouldn't be like the others and kept my chin up. That was my mistake.
We arrived a bit before our check in time and used the valet. I've used valet at other NYC hotels and it's never been an issue but here it was a [--]. They really didn't help point you as to how the heck to get to the lobby and were really rude. We had no idea where we were going and after a few tries we found it but it wasn't for the help in the valet area. Our room wasn't ready yet so they told us it'd only be about 30 minutes at most and we decided to wait. 45 minutes later our room STILL wasn't ready so we decided to hit the bar (their own brand of champagne is pretty decent I must say). After about 2 hours total of waiting our room was ready and I was informed we'd been upgraded from our Junior Suite.
We got to the room and I was pretty excited as I was told this was a suite, yay! We opened the door and almost were physically knocked over by the stench of cigarettes and cigars. It was horrid!! What made it even worse was that my husband had just quit smoking days before the trip so that made things a lot more difficult. After all of that waiting, we didn't want to sit and wait MORE so decided to hope it dissipated and headed off into the city. I will note that our suite WAS very nice, 2 full bathrooms, a bedroom and a living room. The decor was a bit dated but it was still a nice space. I also have seen others complain about the lack of hair dryer and neither of our rooms had one.
The next day we got a phone call asking how our stay was and I told them about the rancid smoke smell (mind you this was a non smoking room). They said they'd bring an air purifier in the room while we were out to hopefully make it better. I don't think they ever did that because the smell never got better.
That night while sleeping I woke up when I was bit on the foot by a spider. In the bed. I know this could happen anywhere but this is the last place I ever expected this to happen at. My foot swelled up and it was pretty painful for a couple days. Again, it could happen anywhere but happening at a hotel of this caliber is kind of surprising.
Finally upon leaving we were told to call 30-45 minutes before we needed our car which we did. When we got to the valet though we had to wait ANOTHER 45 minutes for our car, which had I not planned for delays, would have made us late for our flight.
After seeing my complaint about the spider bite on Twitter the Waldorf did email me and ask what happened. However when I told them what happened, I never heard a response.
It was an OK stay but I don't think I'd do it again. The hotel definitely has seen better days, the service wasn't nearly what I was expecting and the rooms (although big) were ho-hum. Bummer.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC