I loved my stay at the Royal Hawaiian!
Yes, I expected more amenities for the price as others have written, but the good far out-weighed the minor annoyances. Especially since most of the other hotels in the area follow suit. I stayed 5 nights here, 1 night at the Moana Surfrider and 6 nights in Maui at the Hyatt. I liked the Royal much (much) better than the Moana. The Hyatt was very nice as well, but a different experience.
I had originally booked the Sheraton in Waikiki. I stopped by during my stay and I am so very happy that I switched to the Royal. The Sheraton has no beach and the pool scene reminded me of spring break, which would be fun for an afternoon.
I found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. First class. A special note to the beach staff who took care of us. They were great!
The pool area is small, but I prefer the beach. There is a $40/day charge for the chairs. I understand that all the hotels in Waikiki are doing this, which completely blows my mind. I paid for a beach front hotel so that I could sit on the beach. I think the extra charge should be removed. It is insulting. Incorporate it into the room rate so that the beach staff doesn’t have to look at my shocked face and still try to smile.
Once you get over the extra charge, it is great. There is a large, roped off section of the beach. The loungers were very comfortable (Moana did not even have loungers). The only negative here is that you couldn’t have drinks in the area. Otherwise, I was able to completely relax and enjoy either the sun or the shade of the umbrella.
The gym was modest but reasonably equipped with spring water, fresh fruit and fresh towels and not over crowded.
We were in a Tower room. I wouldn’t say the rooms were 5 Star, but they were very clean, very comfortable, spacious enough … and the views from the lanai were absolutely phenomenal.
The location was also perfect. A short walk to restaurants, shops and nightlife.
I would absolutely stay at the Royal for my next trip to Hawaii.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel
- Royal Hawaiian
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Hotel
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Waikiki Beach Hotel, has Abhasa Spa, renowned restaurants, and a pool with a waterslide and cabanas. We have gorgeous indoor and outdoor event space for weddings and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Starwood, BookIt.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Olotels, Otel and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.