We returned to Waikiki after a couple of years and stayed at the Royal Hawaiian having noted its tranquil public areas on our last visit. The public areas are superb, the location just as good, and the rooms (we had a couple of standard doubles) pretty good, smallish but good quality. As a building everything we would have wished. Every member of staff we good as well, no one other than really helpful. I see they look carefully at reviews, which I think is pretty good too they obviously care. But this a a beach hotel, we came in part to lie in the sun. 75 sunbeds is no where near enough for a hotel of this size (600 guests?). The pool is not intimate, it is tiny, I know it is historic, but I am sure they have replaced the "historic" lack of air conditioning. I can see they have problems balancing areas to relax, areas to maintain the atmosphere and pools, but the mix does not favour pools or relaxing. The solution could have been ideal, rope off some beach and reserve the beds, swim in the sea, although water entry is a little tiresome because of a shelf , it is Waikiki after all and how much suffering is that. But to charge a hotel guest $40 on top of the $25 resort charge, to get a sunbed when there is no realistic chance otherwise is unconscionable. Guests are offered the chance of using the Starwood pool next door, busy- it looked like the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan, that's why I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian. Don't think you will get a sunbed there unless you occupy it with a towel by 6am, I know I ran past with jet lag and saw the competition. Beach activities were very professional, use them it was easy and worth it, the wifi was atrocious, dropping out regularly, slow speed and endless need to re login.
It is a great hotel, but almost worth not packing your swimwear, my family had a vote, and I am afraid under the
present system we couldn't recommend unless lying in the sun was not for you.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Hotel
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Waikiki Beach Hotel, has Abhasa Spa, renowned restaurants, and a pool with a waterslide and cabanas. We have gorgeous indoor and outdoor event space for weddings and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Starwood, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Olotels, Otel, Fareportal and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.