We spent a few days in Matemwe main lodge in October 2011.
The little house is really charming, all natural woods and nature tones. The bed linens are clean but stay damp troughout your stay. You can hear the ocean very well, as the houses do have an open roof. The natural airconditioning is great, but on the other hand: everything is moist. It feels rather secure to be in the bed, as their is a klamboo draped around the bed very well. The bed is comfortable, as is the bathroom. Do bring your own amenities -as the shampoo and conditioner are not of good quality (like cheap dishwashing soap and the conditoner is very dilluted). The shower and bath is excellent -and warm.
The house is very dimly lit, in the evenings you cannot read a book unless you are in the bed with the bedlights on.
The view is unbeatable. The porch is gorgeous, with reallly comfortable hammocks. In the evening, some big crabs (heremite) walk around the rooms, it might be charming but if you are afraid of crabs it can be a turn-off.
The food is simply excellent. The staff goes out of their way to make this an experience for you, placing candles on a sweeped beach, doing barbeques and cooking traditional food, really superb.
There is free internet computer access, but not WIFI. The computer is rather fast though, much better than in other lodges we'd stayed in (Serena chain).
The beach was full of weed. You REALLY cannot swim nor snorkel in the lagoon. The tide is simply too low, and there is no coral at all. So if you do want snorkelling from the beach, this is not your place to stay.
We took a private tour to a 'deserted sandbank' to have a little paradise experience. It is quite pricey, but the photo's were that nice and we couldn't do snorkelling from the beach that we decided to take the tour.
The tour in the dhow boat was lovely, I snorkelled with dolphins, fish are plentiful but corals are not vivid. When arriving on the sandbank, much to our regret, no privacy at all. About 18 people with strollers and buggy's!!
When we reported this back to our management, they were as surprised as we were, and they did not charge us for the trip -very very courteous indeed and much appreciated !!
The swimming pool is small but gorgeous.
So if you like some total relaxation, the sound of the ocean, appreciate 'nature's luxury', do not want to snorkel right from the beach and you want your catering to be excellent: this is your place in Zanzibar.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Bungalows
- Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa Zanzibar
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matemwe Main Lodge has twelve spacious, tastefully decorated and newly refurbished (May 2012) chalets, each featuring large verandas overlooking the Indian Ocean. Matemwe embodies the quintessential beach experience: a relaxing atmosphere, friendly and personable staff, massages, cocktails, swimming pools, lush tropical gardens and sumptuous cuisine – fresh seafood being the specialty. This gem on Zanzibar's main island offers privacy and seclusion and is the perfect destination to simply relax and unwind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.